Thread: Emetophobic and scared of norovirus

Emetophobic and scared of norovirus

Hi,

I have emet and am really scared of norovirus even though it's not the peak season I just wanted to know what the chances are of me getting it, I use to love halloween and christmas and now i just hate the idea of them, I live in London and presume cause it's the capital thats where most of the cases will be, I hate living like this :(

Re: Emetophobic and scared of norovirus

There really is no answer to this. I was in hospital once when they had an outbreak and I never got it but others did.

We really cannot say to be honest - some people catch these things and some don't.

Have you thought about getting some help for this phobia though?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

yeah im trying to get help at the min but my dr's are not very helpful, also i'm even worried about it in summer and not to sure if i should be

Hello I'm emet aswel & I have been through this obsessing over norovirus.
    I carry around hand sanitizer & use it after touching anything in public.
    I make a point of never touching my face unless absolutely necessary.
    The only thing I can say about norovirus is that u usually only be s* once or twice with it if u keep urself healthy with good immune system. I know even that is unthinkable but I had norovirus a couple yrs ago (after not being s* for 12 years) & it wasn't that bad .. I was only sick once & it made me feel better surprisingly.
    I'm still terrified of it now but it's reassuring knowing that if I did get norovirus now it would only be 24hrs & I would feel better after.

I will still do everything possible to prevent this though.
    I have read online that there is a vaccine being developed for norovirus & related s* bugs that could be available as soon as 2015 , so there's hope in sight & trust me I will be the 1st in line even if I have to pay for it privately.

Also I am pregnant & had AWFUL morning sickness (nausea only) but felt on the verge of being s* every day for a week before being admitted to hospital because I couldn't drink or eat anything.
    After that the thought of a s* bug isn't so frightening because I know it would just be the once or twice & then it's over , with my morning sickness it was all day every day for a week , my worst nightmare , I wanted to die :/
    Thankfully they gave me anti emetics(antis*) drugs safe in pregnancy that took it all away. Without that I'm pretty sure I would of killed myself through dehydration.

Hope this has helped & also if u google emetophobia there are a lot of self help guides , CDs etc that can be bought. I know they sound silly but they do help a lot.
    Medication for anxiety can be used aswel to stop u worrying so much , CBT can be useful in emet as they teach u how to adjust ure thoughts.
    If ure gp won't listen request to see someone else because anxiety/emet is real as much as gps don't see it.
    Say u want to be referred to someone in the mental health team who can help.
    U dnt have to suffer alone , if u wanna chat any time send me a message on here & I'll try to help. stay strong , u can get through this.
    Xxxxx

I suffer with emet too and like you I dread the tummy bug doing its rounds.
    It always spoils Christmas wondering if someone is unknowingly carrying the virus when they visit.
    If you feel that you aren't getting the help you want try these guys
    http://www.nopanic.org.uk/
    I am doing their telephone recovery course at the moment and have called their helpline a couple of times too. They are lovely people, you can say anything to them no matter how daft you feel it may be. They don't judge and are wonderfully supportive as they have been through similar issues of their own.

am the same and 2 weeks ago my daughters school had the norovirus 30-40 kids in yr 2 got it they didnt shut the school i was soo worried but they had special cleaners in and steam cleaners in over the weekend and the bug went my daughter was ok

Thread Information