Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fear of Flying...I think

Fear of Flying...I think

hi all,

A few years ago I had a near panic attack when a gondola skiing stopped for a few mins. the flight hime (9hrs) I was on edge the whole time and coukd feel myself edging newr a panic attack.

i have flown since and take off, landing etc I dint mind. Its more the lack of control being in a plane and the knowing im so high up and vilnerable. I tey and not focus on the flight with music, magazines etc. but my mind sometimes wonders and I get panicy. not a full on hyperventilating one, iv never had that. but I go flush, heart races, feels like adrenaline pumping and i get worried i might start just shouting or god forbid go to the door. I usually drink for the flight and that eases it. However I am due a long haul flight and want to handle this.

i guess my phobia is a mix of aviophobia and having no control??

Can anyone recomend any actions? Valium? Psychotherapy?

Thanks

Re: Fear of Flying...I think

Hi, I hope your going somewhere nice, you might find it easier to go with someone or try tp make friends with people sitting near you, which is a challenge in it self, but I always take a good book with me which helps & just try to remember air travel is one of the safest forms of transport, so as long as you keep your mind distracted you will be fine.

Unfortunatly it will be a long haul flight to China! So a baptism of fire. I have done shorter haul flights but there always seems to be a point I feel a bit panicy. I have not experienced a full attack ever, and I think it's more the worry about loosing control and making a scene. I am a well built guy and on a plane this would really cause others concern.

Can you use valium throughout such a long flight? Or do the effects wear off? Is hypnotherapy worth a go? I am not sure the exact cause of it but I think its the lack or control and that your on the plane for the duration. Then when i get panicy I worry where it would lead.

Thankyou for advice so far

I have taken valium before a flight but it was only a 4 hour flight, I would ask your doc. I usually use Bach rescue remedy now. I signed up for free emails on <link removed> One of the emails they sent was about fear of flying and it explained how safe it is. It said to imagine you are a toy aeroplane in a bowl of jelly! That is how it works in the air, I don't understand the science of it but it made me feel better thinking I was in a bowl of jelly instead of in nothing! I hope it goes well for you.
    Last edited by nomorepanic; 11-08-12 at 02:17.

Just think about all the new & exciting things you will see over there, I recently went to Sri Lanka & had the same fears, but the flight crew were really friendly & talking to someone there always help. med's might work but the effects will ware off after some time, your best bet is to see your GP for advice.

Hi, I take valium for flying - I have flown to Thailand 8 times, 12 hr flight, I have taken one every 3 hours (plus another for the 1 hr internal flight) so 5 in total. GP went crazy when I told him that, wouldn't prescribe me any more without lots of begging. I was completely fine, but I am not going to recommend you take this many. You will be ok to take more than one - what strength I'm not sure, I have taken 5mg and 10mg. As a rough idea, when I was taking 10mg for a long minibus/ferry trip within Thailand I took 4 over 8 hours and I KNOW that was too much.

Best thing is to just take one, and see how you feel after about 4 hours. The 10mg are prob a bit much if you haven't taken it before though so try the 5mg ones.

Valium has been a godsend for me, takes the edge off and makes me not care even if I do feel a little anxiety still, if you know what I mean? Only downside is I usually feel 'off' the next day - tired, a bit weak, like a slight run-down feeling.

Have a brilliant trip, I more than a bit jealous!

I think I would have to agree with you, but overall, I don't think you should be too afraid while flying. Your situation seems very interesting and different, but some of the suggestions above should be very good. You may have a few problems at times, but the techniques and advice above should be helpful. Good luck

OK bit of an update.

I have a long 11 hour flight to Thailand soon and so my usual tactic of getting drunk will not really be an option so I went to my doctors and she prescribed me 10 5mg Diazepam tablets.

I have never taken benzo's before etc and so wanted to try them out so I know what to expect, so last night I took half to start, hour later no effect, so then took other half and a whole one (10 mg total), didn't really notice much and so 4 hours later took another 5mg. So at that point over space of about 6 hours I had 15mg and although relaxed a little I guess did not really notice much.

Now obviously I was at home in comfort of my room so nothing really anxious to test it against. I watched some YouTube clips of planes with turbulence and didn't really worry etc but I would not have before either with the flight not for another 3 months. It is also worth mentioning I am 220 lbs and am no lightweight when it comes to alcohol etc.

I am not sure if i should now go to doc and tell her it doesn't seem to have an effect on me, take higher dose or if it was just because I was not in a anxious situation. I do not really suffer anxiety at any other time other than flying. I was expecting from what i read online to feel very sleepy which i didn't really, and expected to be very careless and happy which I also wasn't particularly.

Any advice?

Cheers

Hi there. I am still scared of flying, but this week on Thursday I did two short flights for work in a day. I managed to accomplish that on my own. In the last couple of days beforehand, it did feel full on. I didn't want to let my colleagues/bosses down on a work trip. Beforehand I just wanted to get there, get on the plane & get going. Get stuck in and face my fears head on.. When I was actually there, the plane was taking off, landing etc, I was far calmer than I imagined. It really was quite a turn up.
    Sometimes, if you are determined enough, you really can do things you never thought possible.

If I wind the clock back a few years, i was adament i would never get on a plane. no way. then some lovely friends invited my partner & I to go on holiday to the USA with them. for the first time ever, i fancied it. but I was very scared. I did alot of preparation (with the help of my therapist).
    I looked at the safety of flying & indeed as mike says, it is one of the safest forms of transport. I was worried too (being emetophobia) that I'd be airsick, or that someone else would be sick. This is still a worry I have but I will not let it stand in the way.i have been on flights when this has happened to other people. It has not stopped me flying again. I also researched the aircraft I would be flying on (& have done this for every flight I've done). Researching these things gives me at least some control as I understand more about it.
    My last concern is that I suffer with ear problems at times & the air pressure can give me extreme pain. Also balance issues are a concern as again I've had problems in that way too.
    BUT ... And it is a big but.... It is well worth the effort if facing the fear and overcoming it. Believe me, I am glad that I did.
    I have visited New Zealand twice & did back to back flights to get there. They were long flights but by the time we got there, I can honestly say I didnt feel scared by then.
    The thing is, on my first flight ever, I was very anxious indeed. I felt uncomfortable, wondered what every little noise was. But it has got better the more flights I have done.
    It is possible to find a way of going into a sort of shut down mode. Like a zone where you do the minimum thinking necessary to survive. You do not allow negative thoughts to manifest themselves and multiply. The way I look at it is, you have decided to go on the flight, yes it is scary & you do feel uncomfortable but at the end of it there is (I am hoping in your case) a big reward for making the effort. You just exist as best you can during the flights.
    It is very likely that a high percentage of people on flights are either scared or up uncomfortable or both. Even regular travellers will experience some of these things. It is natural. But it can be combatted.
    Believe me, my friends thought I was going to run away at the airport. That was about 9 yrs ago & here I am now able to board a plane on my own. I have to say I was scared beforehand. I thought I would probably sit there and cry because of the stress. But actually I was so much calmer. I actually enjoyed some aspects of it. I plan to do it again soon.
    So.... You go ahead and plan. Between now and when your flight is scheduled, by all means do some homework. But base it on facts not scaremongering. You could spend a lifetime never doing exciting things because they involve an element of fear. Once you have a list of reassuring things to read, read them again. I am certain you can do this.
    With some decent relaxation techniques on board, you can do it. Learning to breath properly & keep your mind occupied in a healthy way is how I helped myself. These are things you can do too. You don't need alcohol to see you through. It is possible To use the power of thinking to help you instead. You can be strong for yourself and the reap the benefits of your hard work. It really is worth it.

Hi
    Can you tell me how much valium you too for your flight?
    I am flying to Lanzarote on monday24th and doctor said take 5mg but tried it the other night and had no effect.
    Chrissy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information