Thread: New member seeks advice

New member seeks advice

Hello

I am a new member and am hoping by signing up I will find some mutual support from other members suffering from GAD.

I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder a little while ago after 3 years of hell, that is the only way I can describe my life which has been plagued by anxiety, mild panic attacks, chronic worrying and stress. I lost my father suddenly 3 years ago and my husband tells me that is when the change happened. I have always been nervous and easily rattled, but this is far more extreme and it really is crippling me.

I feel like my quality of life has suffered, as has that of my husbands who has to deal with me and it also has a knock on effect with my relationship with our son.

I worry over everything, over think everything, am easily upset, cling to the negative rather than the positive, have zero confidence and very low self -esteem. I am confident to a degree with my business, but on a personal level not at all.

I am 30 in January and do not want another 10 years of this, I have failed my driving test 3 times this year, all with very few minors, just a big fat major for getting flustered, panicking and messing up! We live in a village now after moving to the country and I feel isolated and very frustrated not being able to drive. I drive well when I am with my instructor (I have been driving for 11 years), I just can't cope with the exam. I am booked in again next week and I am sick with nerves and overwhelmed with feelings of anxiety and fear of failure.

I am currently taking evening primrose oil and cod liver oil, and iron supplements. I am loath to take anything else as my husband and I have been trying for another baby for 4 years. I do feel my anxiety and stress has affected my fertility.

If anyone has any words of advice, tips, anything they are taking, doing to help then please, please get in touch. I am at my wits end. I have started seeing a therapist but right now my main task is getting through this test

Thank you for listening to me moan on, I hope to hear from others soon

Re: New member seeks advice

Hi, Pleased that you have started therapy, I am sure that will be helpful. You could also try Bach Rescue remedy as that is 100% natural. It is sold on the site in this shop and also in most chemists. Also chamomile tea to drink. Lavender oil and Epsom salts in your bath are good to help relax.

Thank you so much for your reply, I will certainly look into the rescue remedies and oils etc. Because we are hoping to conceive (once I am a bit better) I would like to keep treatments natural, so these sound just up my street. At this point I am willing to give anything a go though! and thanks again

Hi Davenport-83,

I know how you feel losing one of your parents is very traumatic. My father died suddenly 2 years ago and I miss him so much. You will never get over the upset but you learn to cope better. Your Father is always by your side and you have to try and look at great times you shared and have a little laugh to yourself when you look back at these.

When I start to feel anxiety creeping up as I am a worry too, I say to myself STOP and find that this does actually help in breaking the cycle especially when driving.

the secret is acceptance Im afraid, once you gcan get your mind to accept your anxiety it will leave you , not an easy task I know but one you have to master to cure your inner demons. The advice " Stop " is a good one , let the thought pass without holding onto it , more you hold onto it the stronger and longer it will last. When thinking of your dad and grieving in a negative way , try thinking of something you and he did together .. something that ccaused so much happiness or a fit of laughter. Your will find this helps with the negative thought diminishing.

Maybe CBT Therapy would be good for you or Mindfulness , speak to your GP

Hi there and welcome, I hoe this site can help you in some way, has been a good support for me and I have been able to help others too.

I agree with the previous posts and would also add hypnosis for anxiety and depression, you can get free ones on you tube, (just flick through them fully conscious first as some are better than others) then put your earphones on when you can't be disturbed. It helps at the time and repeated listening can also induce a more positive and calmer mind.

Best wishes,

Steph

Thread Information