Home | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms and conditions
User Name
Password
Health Anxiety Are you plagued by fears about your body or health? Are you suffering from Health Anxiety? Please check other sub-forums first to see if your problem should be posted there instead. E.G. the IBS forum or the medication forum or the symptoms forum.

Old 09-01-13, 21:01

Weird tongue feelings

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, but unfortunately not new to panic attacks (have suffered from them for years), recently though I have been suffering from a new and rather scary set of symptoms, which includes severe bloating of the stomach and a feeling that my tongue starts freezing or going stiff (like it is going to stop working or become paralysed), this all happens with my usual panic attack symptoms of rapid heartbeat, head pressure, shallow breathing, tingling hands and arms and general feelings of depersonalization and like I'm going to pass out. It almost feels like I'm going to have a stroke where my tongue will completely stop working and I find myself frantically curling, rolling my tongue to prevent this!! My doctor says it's part of the panic disorder, but as it is only recent it has me feeling really frightened and unassured. My question is have any of you experienced these tongue feelings and do they seem part of the symptoms of panic attacks. Thanks in advance for any help / insight on this problem as it has got me really worried.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 10-01-13, 19:25

Re: Weird tongue feelings

Yes I think your doctor is right. I think stress leads to more acid in the stomach and that also leads to more acid in the mouth. I think the acid acid level lead to that feeling in the mouth that some call dry mouth. To me is feels like my tongue is swelling and raw. I am an trying antacid pills to reduce the my stomach acid.

So yes I experience tongue issues as part of the reaction to stress and panic.
Old 11-01-13, 00:09

When you over breathe / hyperventilate it can cause changes in your blood PH, and that causes muscle cramps, it's common for muscles to tense or cramp up and the tongue is a muscle : )
Old 11-01-13, 00:50

I'm also new to this. What you are feeling is like others have stated acid builds up when the body is stressed thus leaving you with a bloated feeling. When tense your body will do all sorts of terrible but harmless things to you. I've been diagnosed with chronic gastritis I'm 25 year old male. Through endoscopy. I've also had those tounge and still have the sensations, a tounge is a muscle with blood shooting through it. When tense muscles get stiff twitch and ache. Hope you find your answer
Old 11-01-13, 03:43

Thanks for the replies and yeah my stomach does have an acidy indigestion feeling when bloated so this makes a lot of sense. I do also get tension in my neck and face muscles and grind my teeth a lot which could cause stiffness. Thanks again for the replies any help on these symptoms and possible causes is much appreciated.
Old 11-01-13, 12:06

Along with my gastritis I have tmj but to the point I need surgery. I grind my teeth and my jaw is wasting away, and ditto with the neck pain that is terrible but just muscles contracting. Look up tmj it is nothing serious I promise but your answer maybe there and that also causes palpitations and nervose feelings it's horrible. Oh and as they are connected if you get dizzy or spaced out and feel full in one or both ears tmj is your answer. Glad to help
Old 11-01-13, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by patto View Post
Along with my gastritis I have tmj but to the point I need surgery. I grind my teeth and my jaw is wasting away, and ditto with the neck pain that is terrible but just muscles contracting. Look up tmj it is nothing serious I promise but your answer maybe there and that also causes palpitations and nervose feelings it's horrible. Oh and as they are connected if you get dizzy or spaced out and feel full in one or both ears tmj is your answer. Glad to help

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it and I will certainly look into this.

Tags
feelings, tongue, weird