Thread: I feel numb/emotionless on Mirtazapine

I feel numb/emotionless on Mirtazapine

I've been on Mirtazapine for 6 weeks (4@15mg and 2@30mg) and really longing to feel like myself again. The first 4 week the 15mg were really sedating, I was lethargic but it really helped with my anxiety. However I hoped upping to the therapeutic dose would improve my mood and I would start to feel my normal bubbly self again. I don't feel anything!! If the house was on fire I swear I would shrug and saunter out. I have no motivation. However I'm not in the black pit I was a couple of months ago. So what to do?? If this is the best its going to get I don't think I can stand it. From looking on forums I'm beginning to doubt if meds are the answer.

Re: I feel numb/emotionless on Mirtazapine

Tina, give it another 2 weeks and see how things go. You have many other options to consider. CBT is one of them. I did CBT along with medication. The results were great. Hope this helps.

Yes stick with it, 6 weeks is not a long time in the great scheme of things with medication. It might also be worth speaking to your GP to see if you feel the dose is right (plus as you say, explore other treatments too).

I know people say 30mg is the therapeutic dose, but really everyone is different, I only ever went up to 15mg because that dosage happened to be right for me. We are all different in the ways we react to medication so don't feel you HAVE to be on 30mg - my GP was happy to keep me at 15mg.

I have been given this medication but I haven't started it yet due to being a total wuss, not knowing how I may feel that first night;-) My GP said I may only need 15mg, he said you don't need to go up if a dose works for you. I would try at 30mg for another 2 weeks and if no better maybe go back to 15 if your GP is happy for you to do that?

I am glad it has helped your anxiety, that is why I have been prescribed it. I worry about everything so I guess I wouldn't mind feeling that shrug feeling but I know what you mean, most meds make you feel numb unfortunately. I know many people that have felt that way on them.

From my point of view, numb is a whole lot better than the black pit. But I say this as someone who has suffered from anxiety-related illnesses since childhood.

If your current illness is a temporary problem, then meds are not the answer, but may be a temporary help until you get back to your old self. If your old self always did suffer from anxiety in some form or other, then meds may be part of a long-term solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl35 View Post
    I have been given this medication but I haven't started it yet due to being a total wuss, not knowing how I may feel that first night;-)
    If it's any help, I was terrified too but my first night was surprisingly easy. It just knocked me out like a sleeping tablet, about 30 mins after taking it I was out like a light.

Thank you. I am such a wuss, I think it is because Dosulepin made my heart race and I ended up having to call an ambulance, it totally freaked me out. I do need meds to help the anxiety I feel long term with this PTSD I just need to be brave. I have heard mirtazapine is mild to start, it is just being brave enough to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenious View Post
    If it's any help, I was terrified too but my first night was surprisingly easy. It just knocked me out like a sleeping tablet, about 30 mins after taking it I was out like a light.

Quote Originally Posted by hanshan View Post
    From my point of view, numb is a whole lot better than the black pit. But I say this as someone who has suffered from anxiety-related illnesses since childhood.

If your current illness is a temporary problem, then meds are not the answer, but may be a temporary help until you get back to your old self. If your old self always did suffer from anxiety in some form or other, then meds may be part of a long-term solution.
    I've had depression on and off for around 18years, usually I start with feeling very anxious due to a stressful situation which ends with a period of depression. I've been on various SSRI's over the years but often they have made me more anxious initially. I was on douselipine for 3 years which I think is a trycyclic. I came off this last summer but crashed again just after Christmas. I tried going back on it but switched to Mirt because I was really deep in depression and suicidal. The Mirt has been good in that I came back from feeling so bad but I long to feel like me again. I had a wonderful year mentally last year and just feel time is passing me by at the moment. I don't want to be on meds all the time and my head is screwed up from reading all the different opinions on what the best treatment is for depression and anxiety (my counsellor thinks I have GAD). I just want to feel NORMAL!!!

Dosulepin is a good drug, I was pretty sad I had to come off it to be honest.

I hope that you start to feel better soon, it does sound like the mirt is working for you but from what i have heard it does take time xx

Quote Originally Posted by Tinalou View Post
    I've had depression on and off for around 18years, usually I start with feeling very anxious due to a stressful situation which ends with a period of depression. I've been on various SSRI's over the years but often they have made me more anxious initially. I was on douselipine for 3 years which I think is a trycyclic. I came off this last summer but crashed again just after Christmas. I tried going back on it but switched to Mirt because I was really deep in depression and suicidal. The Mirt has been good in that I came back from feeling so bad but I long to feel like me again. I had a wonderful year mentally last year and just feel time is passing me by at the moment. I don't want to be on meds all the time and my head is screwed up from reading all the different opinions on what the best treatment is for depression and anxiety (my counsellor thinks I have GAD). I just want to feel NORMAL!!!

Thread Information