Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback for CBT4PANIC

Feedback for CBT4PANIC

Hi Everyone

I just wondered how everyone who has tried or are trying CBT4PANIC are getting on?

Since the forum became closed to the 'outside world' I haven't received or seen much feedback.

Also I am a bit confused at the proportion of people who have viewed the sticky on CBT4PANIC to those who actually try it

according to the stats the sticky has had 16,000 view but only about 500 people have actually downloaded the programme.

Has anyone any idea why that might be?

I imagined that when I made it free the downloads would go through the roof?

From the forum stats it seems that most people here have health anxiety - so maybe only a relatively small amount have panic disorder or panic attacks?

Anyway - any feedback would be very helpful.

Many thanks
    Robin

I hope the admin don't mind that I duplicated this post on the panic forum - just wanted to reach as many people as possible.

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Re: Feedback for CBT4PANIC

Hi Robin

We opened up the forum again to the "world" so it can be seen by anyone

We do seem to have more HA members than anything at the moment though but I am sure the programme can still be of benefit to them

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nic

Sorry - I didn't realise that - that's great news

Let's hope you don't face the same problems as before - here's hoping :-)

Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi Robin, it's lovely to hear from you

Yes I'm still plodding along. It's taking me a lot longer than others but that makes no difference to me at all, so long as I'm making progress that's all that matters and I am

There does seem to be a lot more HA sufferers than those who suffer with panic attacks or agoraphobia right now, but like Nic has said, I wish a few of them would try CBT4PANIC as I'm sure it could help some of them especially the one's who do have panic attacks as a result of their HA.

I hope more people try it Robin because I think it's an excellent program that really could help many

Is it just for people who suffer from panic? I have dysthymia and SA.

Hi Robin I posted my success story a few weeks ago and mentioned CBT4Panic in it as it was one of the things that helped me A LOT Thank you Robin for all the help you gave me. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=139621

Hi Annie and Auntiemoosie

Yes thanks - you have both been flying the flag for quite some time now. I'm so glad the programme has been of help and I'm hopeful that on your recommendation it has helped others :-)

I guess I'm just still confused as to why more people haven't tried it - I still see many threads where people are describing how they can't cope with their panic and they are at a loss as to what to do. So then I wonder why on earth they don't download the programme??. It's clearly in the sticky at the top of the forum, it's free, it's CBT, nomorepanic recommend it and yet they don't try it??

Very confusing and frustrating

Hi Robin

I downloaded your materials last week but haven't had chance to read them properly yet. I will say though that the material I have read is very well written and not patronising in anyway like some out there. I like the funny illustrations too. Personally I've not started it because I do have some health problems that I am awaiting blood test results on that are causing me real symptoms. That said, I do have HA so it will be interesting to see how much the materials help once I know what is real and what I'm imagining, if that makes sense?

In response to you wondering why more are not making use of it, well I can only speak for me but I will admit to wanting a quick fix. I have felt this way for the last 6 years or so and I am so far into a rut that I sometimes don't think it's worth trying. That's not to slate your materials, or anyone elses as I appreciate the tremendous effort that goes into them. But it's more about me and my apathetic state of mind.

Hi Fallen Angel
    Thanks for the reply

Other people have told me before that they don't feel anything can actually help them - since they have tried so many things in the past and still feel the same - so maybe that is part of this.

But probably the fact that so many people on this site have HA is the main reason.

Sometimes I am astonished at the number of people on the HA forum at any one time and the frustrating thing is that most people are probably seeking reassurance about the symptoms rather than looking for treatment for HA.

and I don't mean that in a critical way - I suffered from HA on top of the PD many years ago so I understand just how scary it can be.

The symptoms can be SO convincing it can be difficult to put them down to HA

It might be helpful for people on the forum to observe the HA forum the way it appears to someone who has either recovered or has never had HA.

Look at the sheer number of people - observe the similarities in the symptoms, the fears, the safety behaviours, the reassurance seeking and so on. Observe how often the symptoms shift or once a person gets over one symptom the HA causes another one to arise. Rather than zooming in on the dialogue about specific symptoms try to see the wider picture. This might help people see more clearly that the HA is the problem not the symptoms.

I hope more people consider trying CBT for HA - it really can be very effective

I also teach Mindfulness and there is an introductory workbook in CBT4PANIC on Mindfulness that could be very helpful to anyone on NMP

Hi Robin.

I've mentioned the CBT 4 PANIC to my Therapist and she had heard of it and is quite interested. At the moment she feels I'm not in a good position to do 'self learning' and that I still need some guided learning so she's going to go through one with me.

Perhaps people like us are quite wary of doing things by ourselves and need that hand holding motion.

But as you rightly say there's that concept of re-assurance which we all know feeds the cycle and it doesn't help but the problem for us is that we are in that cycle and challenging it can and is very difficult so we perhaps avoid or shirk direct challenge (safety behaviours perhaps?)

I can echo Fallen Angel and the quick fix. I am educated to a high level and I treat CBT as a degree course (which I know is wrong) and don't engage with the emotions, I'd rather google for another answer. It's a silly as a paracetamol not making my headache better so not taking it again but in a moment of HA I don't think in those lucid terms.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure you've seen patients and experienced yourself what a stubborn yet fearful bunch we all truly are

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information