Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dizziness after stopping smoking

Dizziness after stopping smoking

I have never really posted about my battle to stop smoking but I have not had a cigarette for 2 days (really good for me) I desperately want to stop, I have always used smoking as a 'crutch' for my anxiety but realise it is making my anxiety worse in the long run (especially my HA)
    I just want to know , is it normal to feel dizzy after stopping smoking? I feel a bit lightheaded and weird today and am confused if I am suffering with physical or mental symptoms. Thanks x

Re: Dizziness after stopping smoking

Well done for a start off ,I stopped smoking over two years ago ,I couldnt say if it made me dizzy because my anxiety made me dizzy maybe it could just you have not had a ciggarette that can make you anxious xx

Alma,

I stopped over a year ago and I was exactly the same - really dizzy with a headache for a week or so. It felt exactly the same as when I last stopped taking ADs which makes me suspect it is something to do with the change in chemicals in the brain - apparently smoking acts as a MAOI.

It passed after a week so stick with it - it's worth it.

Pip

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi alma I know how you feel when I tried to stop smoking I got very light headed after a couple of days, so I ßtarted again

Thanks all for your replies, seems like the dizziness is pretty common. I have an electric cigarette which is helping. I do feel more anxious when I stop smoking, I stopped for 3 years a while ago but started again when I got stressed out. Well done Mrs Stressed and Pipkin for quitting! and Petra feeling lightheaded is horrible so I can kind of understand why you started again! Thanks again xx

im the same for drinking I tried to stop drinking but if I go 48 hours without alcohol I start to get some right weird symptoms and yet I only like a few pints after work nothing major

so yes I think it can bring on some different sypmtons the fact you are looking for reassurance is fueling the traditional anxiety circle aswell im afraid it will just move onto something else

hth kris

Thanks for your reply Ohwell123 perhaps I am looking for reassurance but I am curious if the dizziness is a physical symptom of stopping smoking or anxiety because I can't have a cigarette. It's my third day without them today , I still feel lightheaded but slightly calmer.

Well done Alma. I am a smoker too. I am trying my best to cut down.
    I go dizzy after I have a smoke. I have elight cigarette to help, but
    having no joy as yet.x

CONGRATS! Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself and your anxiety. I was a smoker and ironically quit about the time I noticed something was amiss with the whole cancer thing. Obviously, it was already too late. I used the e cig to get off tobacco and nicotine. The dizziness is common as your body is being deprived of a drug... it's part withdraw from nicotine.

For anyone else suffering anxiety and especially if you have HA, it absolutely makes no sense to worry about your health AND smoke!

So again.. congrats on quitting... best thing you'll ever do!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thanks Magic and Fishman, Magic I have one of those Vapour Cigarettes that you fill yourself , I tried the elites but didn't do too well with them. Have you tried the vapour ones? xx
    Fishman thanks for your reply, I feel happier to know that dizziness is a withdrawal symptom, I have also read that you can feel worse before you feel better after giving up but I want to do this Thanks all xx

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information