Thread: Surviving the start up of Citalopram (day 5)

Question Surviving the start up of Citalopram (day 5)

Hi everyone. I have GAD that has gotten drastically worse a bit over a week ago. I am feeling constant anxiety every single day, and obsessing over death (only mentioned to explain that I worry about things out of my control, I don't want to talk about death as it just makes me panic much more).

I went to my doctor on Tuesday, so about five days ago, she prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram (10mg for the first 4 days). I also have some benzo pills (oxazepam) to help as I know Citalopram can take weeks to work. I am seeing her on Thursday to check how I am progressing.

I am having trouble dealing with the side effects though, and have a few questions.

1) My appetite is pretty much gone and swallowing food is hard. Should I still force myself to eat a bit, will my anxiety feel worse if I barely eat?

2) My anxiety is extreme at the moment, especially when I wake up. I am scared of becoming too dependant on my benzo pills, does anyone have any other helpful ways to survive? Anything else that helps to calm down? I have been drinking green tea but perhaps the caffine is not a good idea.

3) Jaw clenching, any idea what might cause that? Citalopram or the other stuff?

4) I have been taking Citalopram in the morning, I feel tired all day, do you think switching to taking them at night would help?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me with this, I really appreciate it. I really want to keep a positive mindset and give this a chance to work, it's just hard when I am so anxious.

Re: Surviving the start up of Citalopram (day 5)

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownUser View Post
    Hi everyone. I have GAD that has gotten drastically worse a bit over a week ago. I am feeling constant anxiety every single day, and obsessing over death (only mentioned to explain that I worry about things out of my control, I don't want to talk about death as it just makes me panic much more).

I went to my doctor on Tuesday, so about five days ago, she prescribed me 20mg of Citalopram (10mg for the first 4 days). I also have some benzo pills (oxazepam) to help as I know Citalopram can take weeks to work. I am seeing her on Thursday to check how I am progressing.

I am having trouble dealing with the side effects though, and have a few questions.

1) My appetite is pretty much gone and swallowing food is hard. Should I still force myself to eat a bit, will my anxiety feel worse if I barely eat?

2) My anxiety is extreme at the moment, especially when I wake up. I am scared of becoming too dependant on my benzo pills, does anyone have any other helpful ways to survive? Anything else that helps to calm down? I have been drinking green tea but perhaps the caffine is not a good idea.

3) Jaw clenching, any idea what might cause that? Citalopram or the other stuff?

4) I have been taking Citalopram in the morning, I feel tired all day, do you think switching to taking them at night would help?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to help me with this, I really appreciate it. I really want to keep a positive mindset and give this a chance to work, it's just hard when I am so anxious.
    try to eat it's important and try to keep it as healthy as possible.

It is normal for anxiety to become on the first stages and increasing , but try not to over do on the benzo, try half and see if it calms you, also try not to take it when you are in safe places like at home. Once citalopram starts to kick in after weeks or months you can taper off and only take when you really need to.

things like jaw clenching and dilated pupils are normal when starting citalopram but will ease and reduce and then stop over a short period.

tiredness only lasts a week or so , my doctor told me taking it in the day is far more effective than taking it at night, but if you like in the first few weeks take it at night then gradually change it to day time.

I hope this helps, after being months on it, I am finally starting to feel better, its a long and bumpy road hut will get better within weeks or months, it's worth the bumps in the end. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by afgzee View Post
    try to eat it's important and try to keep it as healthy as possible.

It is normal for anxiety to become on the first stages and increasing , but try not to over do on the benzo, try half and see if it calms you, also try not to take it when you are in safe places like at home. Once citalopram starts to kick in after weeks or months you can taper off and only take when you really need to.

things like jaw clenching and dilated pupils are normal when starting citalopram but will ease and reduce and then stop over a short period.

tiredness only lasts a week or so , my doctor told me taking it in the day is far more effective than taking it at night, but if you like in the first few weeks take it at night then gradually change it to day time.

I hope this helps, after being months on it, I am finally starting to feel better, its a long and bumpy road hut will get better within weeks or months, it's worth the bumps in the end. Good luck
    Thanks for answering my questions. I wonder if you have any recommendation for ways to calm down from panicking (especially morning panicking) without benzos? I already take less than half of what I am allowed daily of them on average but I still want to be careful. It's just the anxiety rush in the morning is so bad that I really want to be able to do something.

I get what you mean by the anxiety rush, I get that sometimes outdoors but you have to focus your thoughts on something else that is positive, its hard but you have to try,

Also breathing OUT all the air from your lungs, you'll then automatically take a deep breath in, it helps, its almost like you're pushing all the panic out and pulling positivity in, it works better than breathing in then out.

Flowers in your bedroom when you wake up help, I noticed for me yellow ones, I got daffodils and now yellow tulips, when I look at them in the morning makes me feel great.

Its fine to be taking the benzos in the first stages, you'll know when to begin taping down once citalopram begins to kick in, you'll begin to have a great few days and then fall all the way back to the bottom, but you have to climb your way back up.

Just keep strong and positive and stay on this forum for advice, it really helped me being edged on by others.

Thread Information