Thread: A late introduction

A late introduction

Hello, I have already asked a question in your forums and got a few replies for which I am very thankful, but I thought I would introduce myself when I saw this forum. My name is Charlotte and I am 20 from Oxford. I have always been of the 'worrying' variety and my earliest memory of such was when I was about 8 and I used to have to sleep in my parent's bed because I felt sure that they were going to die. I could be left on my own and hated going to school because I feared something would happen to them and I wanted to be near them 24/7. This was followed by years of generally feeling scared to try things and not fitting in much. I think one of the things that caused my anxiety was the fact that I lacked confidence and always believed that I didn't belong. I was fully grown in height by the time I had turned 15 (which is 5'10'') and felt as though I was literally a freak. I never went to the parties and preferred to be on my own a home because this was where I was safe. Then I was diagnosed with curvature of the spine at 15 (scoliosis) and once again I became concerned with how I looked and got very down. I still wasn't very outgoing at school and developed 'anorexic tendencies' because I basically felt scared and refused to eat.

Switching forward to now, I have had scoliosis surgery to stabilise my spine, I am generally happy with the way I look, but have, for the past few years, started to feel generally worried and anxious again. My main concern was how dizzy I felt. It was always in my mind that I had some kind of terminal disease that was killing me and I refused to do anything about it. I figured that if I avoided the doctors, then they couldn't tell me something that I didn't want to hear. The dizziness started to become more regular and I began avoiding situations just so that I didn't have to feel scared. I wouldn't go somewhere where I had felt dizzy before and avoided the social scene entirely.

Recently I have experienced panic attacks and have tried medication from the doctor such as 'Cipramil' and 'Propranolol'. I avoid doing things through fear of becoming dizzy and when I do, I work myself up into such a state that I get very shaky and just try and curl myself up and pretend that nothing is happening. I dislike leaving the house through fear of being dizzy and as a result, I am fearful nearly every day. I get dizzy occurences so often now, that it becomes a part of my daily routine. I think about it all day and try to prevent myself from doing things as a result.

I have written a letter to my GP but am afraid to post it. It is 03:34 in the morning because I can't sleep and all I want to do is be able to live a normal life and be happy.

Hi floralgypsy

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find lots of helpful advice here.

It's horrible being unable to sleep isn't it? I too have that problem at the moment.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and welcome.

Take care,
    Briary

Hi Charlotte,
    Glad you have found this website, I have suffered panic attacks for 20 years but have only recently sort help and also found this site. It has been a great help to me and will offer you heaps of support and advice.
    Take care

Deb x

Hi Charlotte,

I've taken Cipramil as well when I was depressed, and had similar symptoms, its not nice at all. Welcome to the site, we are all here to support each other, any time you need support

Paul xx

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to the site!! It sounds like you are going through a tough time. I know exactly how you feel - it's horrible, isn't it? Just try to remember that you're not alone and there are lots opf people out there who have experinced very similar things. From my own experience, the one thing that I would say is that the worst thing you can do is avoid the horrible symptoms you are suffering from and keeping them to yourself. You said that you have written a letter to your GP - do try to send it and let him know how you are feeling!! That's the only way things will get better for you!!

Sarah (seh1980)

Hi Floral

Welcome to the site.

The dizziness used to drive me mad! I used to feel it all the time and was convinced that I had a serious brain problem. It went with time but there was no magical cure - just over time as I got better it got less and less.

I know that this may sound hard to do but some light exercise may help the anxiety/panic symptoms and make you feel a bit better.

I hear that Jade has sent you a message cos she has scoliosis so that is good that you 2 can help each other out.

Has the doc said that the dizziness is all panic related or do you think that he needs to do more test - I saw a neurologist for example?

Hope you can get some help on here and feel better just by knowing that it is a common symptom and will go in time.

Nicola

Thread Information