Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cant carry on with the retching... What shall I do?

Re: I cant carry on with the retching... What shall I do?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Thanks FMP,

I remember looking before but couldn't find much.

Its clear that alcohol is being used as a way to stop the retching however the real reason behind it could be less apparent. It could be that this is some form of OCD ritual even that involves subconsciouly creating the retching and then the alcohol is introduced to stop it but its really only a placebo effect. That doesn't feel quite like OCD to me but it would fit a safety behaviour I guess.
    Hi MNIT, I think you have identified my problem. It does appear do be some bizarre anxiety/OCD disorder. The fact that alcohol (a depressant) stops this symptom surely must signify something? I have long said that if I had a gastrointestinal disorder then alcohol would make it worse and not the opposite i.e. stopping the retching.
    Its a very very strange and worrying time for me at the moment, my mind feels like it is under attack. I don't know what is wrong with me.

It certainly would.

Alcohol is a relaxant isn't it? So, is it actually relaxing perhaps the esophagus?

That still doesn't explain why the retching starts but it be like taking a medication to counter a symptom like how we can take Diazepam.

There are medications that do exactly that for people with physical illnesses.

You've seen people who have ruled out physical things, so have you seen a psychiatrist/psychologist? This is far too advanced for a GP and they might be able to work out whether it is a ritual of some kind or a medical use to counter an anxiety symptom. It just feels like you need an expert in that respect.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Have you ever spent a week documenting this happening?

Aside from the event you would need to document things like thoughts at the time, feelings, bodily sensations (other than the retching one), throat sensation prior to retching, thoughts when thinking about using alcohol, thoughts after, sensations after. There would need to be things like environment, what were you doing at the time, etc.

I'm thinking a therapist might ask for something like this as they try to track down triggers. I have GAD & OCD so I had detail all my rituals when starting CBT and the usual way is to keep a diary for a week.

I couldn't do this as I had so many and they were short rituals, oftne back to back so filling in a diary would basically take up the rest of the day between the rituals so my therapist asked me to list them along with how many times, where I do them, etc.

There is an interesting case of retching on pages 384-385 of this book. Its also interesting how they treated it:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ritual&f=false

It certainly would.

Alcohol is a relaxant isn't it? So, is it actually relaxing perhaps the esophagus?

That still doesn't explain why the retching starts but it be like taking a medication to counter a symptom like how we can take Diazepam.

There are medications that do exactly that for people with physical illnesses.

You've seen people who have ruled out physical things, so have you seen a psychiatrist/psychologist? This is far too advanced for a GP and they might be able to work out whether it is a ritual of some kind or a medical use to counter an anxiety symptom. It just feels like you need an expert in that respect.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Have you ever spent a week documenting this happening?

Aside from the event you would need to document things like thoughts at the time, feelings, bodily sensations (other than the retching one), throat sensation prior to retching, thoughts when thinking about using alcohol, thoughts after, sensations after. There would need to be things like environment, what were you doing at the time, etc.

I'm thinking a therapist might ask for something like this as they try to track down triggers. I have GAD & OCD so I had detail all my rituals when starting CBT and the usual way is to keep a diary for a week.

I couldn't do this as I had so many and they were short rituals, oftne back to back so filling in a diary would basically take up the rest of the day between the rituals so my therapist asked me to list them along with how many times, where I do them, etc.

There is an interesting case of retching on pages 384-385 of this book. Its also interesting how they treated it:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ritual&f=false
    I read the article. It was interesting.
    I see a gastroenterologist in June again, this will be my 3rd appointment since 2014. I need answers this time round.

Isn't there an alcohol factor in here as well?

When I commented on a previous thread of yours I have wondered whether by using alcohol you calm your anxiety or the wretching with alcohol being a depressant.

If its physical and the alcohol calms the reaction down then medication should be able to acheive the same.

If its anxiety alone then I think it almost should be treated like a Sensorimotor OCD form because you feel the need to wretch and control it and how they have treatment might help you too.
    Just reading a few of callums old posts and read your reply Terry .

I suffer with morning retching, only for a few months , and ive been using alcohol to control anxiety ......bad idea .

The relief is fantastic but short lived and the anxiety returns the next day like a ton of bricks !

I have a feeling this is alcohol related as it started when i drank more than usual ( about 5 times as much )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information