Thread: Heavier periods

Heavier periods

I am just about two weeks into taking sertraline (originally 25mg then up to 50mg on Saturday). My period started on Saturday too and although I am relieved that I am not pregnant (could not deal with that at the moment) I am concerned with how heavy my period is.

It seems twice as heavy as usual although I am having very little pain. Usually by this point it is slowing down but there are no signs yet. Does anyone know if this can happen when on sertraline or am I just overthinking everything yet again?

Re: Heavier periods

Hi there, I'm on lexapro and have found the same thing. I think that a side effect of some ADs is that they can sometimes do that. I have heavy periods to begin with and have tablets that I take during my period to slow it down. Maybe run it by your doctor to get their opinion plus ease your mind.

Re: Heavier periods

Thank you for your reply Leah. I've also got a number of bruises on me too and then remembered something about not been recommended to take these with warfarin so perhaps it does something to thin your blood, which may explain it.

It's definitely something I'll discuss with my doctor next time but nice to know I'm not on my own again

Thread Information