Thread: Pins and Needles in both hands and arms

Pins and Needles in both hands and arms

Hi

I know this subject has been broached before but has anyone ever really got to the bottom of this symptom. The issue is I wake almost every night with numbness in both hands which starts in the little fingers and gradually fades as it travels up the arms. On waking I experience pins and needles as the feeling comes back.

I am absolutely not sleeping on both arms every night by the way and I have noticed that I often awake during the night in the middle of a dream.

I have experienced almost every symptom on this forum throughout the last 25 years but it really helps to try to understand.

Best

Ian

Re: Pins and Needles in both hands and arms

I get carpal tunnel syndrome which is numbness in the hands....but never really the little fingers.

I have had that a lot waking up with hands and arms asleep then the pins and needles come. I wasn't laying on my arms either but I think just moving them can also cause it or maybe it's circulation perhaps. I have often had to hold my whole arm as it's so numb and the tingles last ages x

Not Carpal Tunnel I'm afraid and to be frank it would almost be nice if it was because at least I would know. The issue is that it travels up the arms to and goes away when I wake up. CT would also be present on waking and tends to effect the thumb index fingers etc. also, both hands at the same time would be a little odd. In fact my doctor said it could be CT initially but when I described the symptoms in detail she said not and scratched her head:0)

I get this IanSurrey, but not so much of late.

I don't know what causes it, but I have found that drinking a glass of water just before going to bed seems to help. Also doing some stretching exercises and gentle yoga helps the blood circulation and that is what I think it maybe. 'Circulation'.

I have for life had a habit of sleeping on my hands. If I end up moving my entire arm above my head then I can wake up with a full dead arm. The test for me is, once it comes back to normal after walking around for a minute or just sitting up, I know it is because I've trapped it.

It is annoying but before anxiety kicked in I didn't give it one thought.

I have noticed that feeling panicky and being off meds (currently am) leads to sudden pins and needles (very light) when I get anxious. It is just before I feel I might have a panic attack.

I have it too, for three months. Less worried after reading here how common it is. I may get it during the day, but during wake I normally "just" have on and off pain in my arms.

I may also get numbness in my toes during sleep.

All of it started with tingling and buzzing in arms, hands and feet, but now it's primarily shifting pain and twitching.

After realising that it doesn't seem to get worse, I have shifted from highly anxious to worried, except when new minor symptoms knock me out, such as a recent long period with distorted hearing and a few episodes with eye pressure.

Waiting for nerve conduction test, but feeling suspicious about it. Carpal tunnel should not make my feet tingle, buzz and go numb.

I have low iron levels, maybe that's all it is for me.

Thread Information