Thread: Anyone else scared to be home alone?

Anyone else scared to be home alone?

Anyone else scared to be alone at home? Because I have health anxiety and think that I'm dying from something daily, I've developed a fear of being home alone. I'm scared that I'd have a heart attack, a stroke, or pulmonary embolism and no one will be here to help me and won't get to the hospital in time. My fear of being home alone is also because I have a young son who is autistic and worry if something happened to me , he would be alone to fend for himself. I tried to find what type of phobia it's called to be afraid to be alone at home but can't seem to find the answer. It'seems a horrible fear. I'm always in edge when I'm byou myself and I feel helpless a lot of times.

Re: Anyone else scared to be home alone?

Yes I do its best to try and stay occupied, and try not to think of the negative things.

Yep exactly the same Hun!!! I go round my parents everyday once I've dropped my two boys off at school!!! It's a daily struggle!!! X

It's natural to worry about being there for your children. It's biological, self preservation. My friend is in the same position as you - however her son is severely disabled and she constantly worries about what would happen to him if the worst should happen to her. But the point is, it hasn't. It sounds as though your intrusive thoughts are really interfering with your life and occupying your mind constantly.

All the things you listed are things that mainly affect old people, for them to occur in someone under 50 is very, very rare. The actual risk of them occuring in a healthy adult is minute. And trust me, I used to attend the emergency room weekly thinking I was having one of those three things you listed. The doctors told me over and over again: you're relatively young, you're healthy, these things are so rare for someone under 50, so stop thinking of them. I think you should look into therapy, because these thoughts aren't something that are going to go away on their own. As long as you look at your son, you are going to have these morbid thoughts, and you don't want that to continue. Something needs to break the cycle. You should be able to spend time with your son and send him off to school etc without thinking about these horrible things happening, don't let it steal your peace of mind.

I've had anxiety ruin sooooo many moments and occasions for me that were supposed to be happy, but were ruined because I kept constantly thinking something bad was going to happen. I've had panic attacks from being left alone in the house, that I thought were a stroke because my arms went numb and heart was racing. It's such a waste of time and energy. In the meantime, maybe tell a friend or relative how you're worried, and to text you every night to make sure you're okay, just as a kind of reassurance thing. I'm sure given your situation, they'll understand.
    Last edited by eastofeden; 15-12-15 at 14:34.

I could have wrote this right down to having an autistic son.....its so scary my mum died suddenly in bed last year and I'm convienced when my hubbys at work at night the sames going to happen to me and my son will be left to fend for himself so bad to the point I have a 70yr old family friend sleep over 4 times a week god love him. The accident situation dosnt fear me but like yourself heart attack, strokes and DVTs

Thread Information