Thread: Anxiety preceded by reflux?

Anxiety preceded by reflux?

Did anyone else have reflux for a while before their anxiety got bad? I read something about gut bacteria and anxiety recently and wondered if there could be a link?

Re: Anxiety preceded by reflux?

Gut bacteria certainly has an impact on a fair few things, as they are still finding.

Your gut certainly does have a strong connection to anxiety. They have proven in rats how there are 2 channels involved "brain-to-gut" and "gut-to-brain" and how when they severed the first and subjected them to fear testing, it triggered a brain reaction from the gut reacting to the stimulus.

I think it's a very interesting area to keep an eye on. There are some studies coming out about strains impacting mood but I think they have been by commercial companies but there are also some uni studies about pro & prebiotics helping with anxiety.

What did you read? Whilst the anxiety links seems like it's taking off, what is it about the earlier symptom of reflux in the studies?

My problems only really starting in 2010...with a bout of reflux. It was the first time I was diagnosed. After that I got an episode of anxiety.

Since then it's been anxiety reflux anxiety reflux, kind of doing a tag team on me. Last year my reflux got really bad and I started worrying about losing my voice (not good as a teacher) and went to the Drs a number of times. After that my most recent bout, and the worst anxiety/depression ever hit.

I guess there could be a third causal factor ->stress. It could be causing both I suppose.

I read this article:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/45...e-your-stomach

My doctors said I've got costochondritis which has been even more painful since my anxiety is making it worse. I've just started on sertraline for anxiety and depression and I am struggling with stress too. Some conditions are linked with others- I was told that anxiety can trigger acid reflux.

i've always suffered with heartburn on rare occasions through my life but after i was diagnosed and my anxiety got worse last year i certainly started getting reflux more and more until it got worse and now i'm on omeprazle x

2010 -some Gaviscon, no more problems
    2012 -Gaviscon tablets daily for periods...constant heartburn
    2013 -drinking gaviscon before bed. Stomach churning constantly
    2014 -insomnia, Finally start PPIs, never thought I'd get to this stage
    2015 -regular PPI, hoarseness, coughing, sore throat.

Thread Information