Thread: Fear of medication

Fear of medication

I suffer with anxiety, mainly health anxiety although lately it's not been too bad.
    I am also a migraine with aura suffer and have in and asked the dr for a preventative, now she's prescribed me propranolol and now I'm too scared to take it (I have a fear of taking meds but the migraines are just such a nuisance)
    Any help would be much appreciated to make me take these tablets! I worry I will instantly collapse and die!

Re: Fear of medication

It's a very widely used beta blocker and is also widely used to help with anxiety. Taken as prescribed, they will help. What beta blockers do is essentially put a ceiling on how hard your heart will work. I take beta blockers, BP meds and blood thinners for my cardiac issues and have been for over 12 years. I can tell you I don't notice a thing. Scratch that.... if I'm really exerting myself, I find that I have to take it a little easier is all.

The dosage typically prescribed for anxiety is low so you'll be fine and the fact they'll help your anxiety and consequently your migraines is certainly worth trying them

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I take Propranolol for anxiety. It hasn't done me any harm. However, it has contributed to me making some real progress with my condition.

Thank you both for your replies, it's always reassuring to get some positive advice when it comes to meds, I just need to bite the bullet and take it, once I've started I will fine, then I worry about coming off them haha!

Hi
    I have a total fear of meds and procrastinate before taking anything.

Propanalol is one I take for anxiety, my GP told me 40mg was the effective dose for anxiety, but gave me it in 10mg tabs so I could start at 10 mgs and work up to 40mgs.

I talked myself into feeling 'tired' as a side effect, and also a bit nauseated.
    But after a few days that went away and I have to admit that it may have been nothing to do with the Ed's and more to do with the anti anxiety letting me relax and also eating something reducing stomach acid!!

Thread Information