Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypoglycemia

Hypoglycemia

Hi all,

I thought I would share some information I found on a website today. It explains that hypoglycemia can cause all the anxiety symptoms that we seem to suffer. Here is some of the info....

If the blood sugar level for some reason is depressed below normal, or if blood sugar levels drop too rapidly, the brain is unable to function appropriately. This can lead to a wide variety of physical and seemingly psychological symptoms associated with abnormal nervous system function. In response to low blood sugar the adrenal glands release adrenal hormones into the blood stream. This can produce anxiety, trembling, panic attacks and other seemingly "psychological" symptoms.

Literally speaking hypoglycemia, also called reactive hypoglycemia, means low blood sugar. The body tries at all times to maintain a nearly constant blood sugar level. This is especially important for the brain and the nervous system. The only fuel the brain can use is glucose. If the blood sugar level for some reason is depressed below normal, or if blood sugar levels drop too rapidly, the brain is unable to function appropriately. This can lead to a wide variety of symptoms associated with abnormal nervous system function. As we see later, in response to low blood sugar the adrenal glands release adrenaline into the blood stream. Adrenaline produces symptoms of anxiety, trembling and/or panic attacks.

Symptoms Associated with Hypoglycemia

Alcoholism (craving for alcohol, which is fermented sugar)
    Allergies
    Asthma
    Binge eating
    Blurred vision
    Constant worrying, unprovoked anxieties

Convulsions
    Crying spells
    Depression
    Digestive disturbances

Drowsiness Exhaustion
    Faintness, dizziness, tremor, cold sweats, weak spells
    Food cravings
    Forgetfulness
    Headaches
    Impotence (males)
    Incoordination
    Indecisiveness
    Insomnia (awakening and inability to return to sleep)
    Internal trembling
    Irritability

Itching and crawling sensations on skin
    Lack of sex drive (females)
    Lack of concentration
    Leg cramps
    Lump in throat
    Mental confusion
    Muscle pains
    Nervous breakdown
    Nervousness
    Nightmares
    Numbness
    Palpitation of heart, rapid pulse
    Panic Attacks
    Phobias
    Fears
    Rheumatoid arthritis
    Staggering Suicidal intent
    Twitching and jerking of muscles
    Unsocial, asocial, antisocial behavior
    Vertigo, dizziness

I wonder how many of us actually have a possible low blood sugar problem. Most doctors don't test or even look for this. Just a thought. Susan

Hi Susan,
    I find if I don't eat something every 2-3 hours I get horrible feelings, my hands shake, my legs tremble, and my heart seems to race. I did mention it to my doctor and he took blood tests for diabetis, thyroid and much more, everything came back fine. If I feel shaky, just a chocolate biscuit helps to stop it. Doctor said it was just nerves, and to eat at regular intervals. Now I'm putting on too much weight. I can't win at all.
    Best wishes
    Donna

HI Susan and Donna,

The secret is to eat complex carbs not simple sugars which only add to the problem. Choc biscuits instruct your pancreas to release lots of insulin NOW to deal with the influx of sugar. That only lasts a short while and then the issue starts again.

You'd be better off eating complex carbs or protein which is less demanding on insulin but produces a longer term effect of energy.

I posted quite a bit about this a month or so ago in answer to something of Bish. I'll try to find it again.

Hypoglycaemia is not recognised by most GP's as your sugar level doesn't drop below the 'recognised' low level - however there is substantial evidence to show it's a large cause of anxiety and panic.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Here it is

Hi Bish,

Yes, chocolate is wonderful, I agree - but a large concentration of sugar will often put an anxious person into an attack.
    Many anxious people have hypoglaecaemia which is chronic low blood sugar where you either produce too much insulin or it's very efficient - the opposite of diabetes if you like- and keeping your blood sugar steady is paramount in keeping the shaky, fearful, tachycardic feelings at bay.
    Sugar just sends your blood sugar way high one minute so the body produces more insulin which brings it crashing down , more sugar sends it way up again and the whole thing is a viscious circle.
    These people should be eating small and often and mainly complex carbs and protein like seeds ,pulses , nuts, grains, eggs, fish etc. This is especially important for those who have adrenal exhausion through huge stresses or constant panic. Most often these people feel worse in the mornings and usually go without enough breakfast..
    Incidentally
    Type 1 diabetics on insulin should not have pure sugar apart from in an emergency, all the fats, carbs and proteins they eat get digested down into sugars for energy. Most diabetics are on tablets - Type 2 - and also should not have pure sugar as the tablets are designed to deal with XX amount of energy over a few hours and eating pure sugar sends this all to pot - quite apart from all increasing risks of infections, retinopathy, neuropathy as well as the cardio vascular issues.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

so, what are we saying meg,should blood sugar levels be taken more seriously,there are meters available to buy at most large chemists,so we are able to to check our own readings...me thinks the lady has made a valid point.....bryan

Hi Bryan,

I don't think we should all start checking our sugars. That only perpetuates our worrying and I think it's very little to do with the standard sugar below 2.5 mmols is a hypo etc but we should each go on how we feel.
    I think we should eat more regularly, always have breakfast and be more careful about what we eat ie less simple sugars and more complex carbs and protein that will see us through the day with less wild swings in our blood sugar level.

Meg

Hiya All,

Read all above with interest, I am getting my results back this afternoon (Being tested for thyroid (lost 1 stone in a month), glucose etc))

Lucky

hya lucky,
    good luck with your results today....bryan

Thanks Bryan,

Kind of hoping I have a medical problem (although I would want it to be easily fixed!!) I am still trying to find a reason for all this anxiety (and the weight loss)I just can't seem to accept it is just something that happened!!

Lucky

Blood tests came back clear. Glucose, thyroid, liver and kidneys but I will have to wait for my full blood **** (does anyone know what that is??

Felt disappointed there is nothing physical wrong (crazy I know!!!) as I don't want to be ill but i sometimes feel It would be easier than having a mental problem

Luv
    Lucky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information