Thread: help with my daughter

help with my daughter

Hi
    I was just wondering whether any one has any ideas on what to do with my daughter.She is ten years old and i have had problems with her since she was five.For the last two years she has been doin these funny things as we call them.She does funny movements across the room like she is doin a ballet dance and then she has to do a certain ritual when she kisses you and she is always moving her shoulders which we call duddering.She sees a counseller which has done nothing to help her and he isnt worried by what she does.He doesnt live with t 24/7.Going back to gp on monday see what else can be done.I would be grateful for any feed back just dont know which way to turn anymore.It doesnt sound like much but it is happening so much.There has been other things over the years but i wont go into all that ill be here all night. Thanks

Julie xx

Re: help with my daughter

I have only recently (infact Thurs) have been told I have ocd - silly thoughts and rituals like not taking the first thing on the shop shelf. I am probably in no way entitled to comment on your daughter but when reading your text it made me think. Im 32 now but I can remember having 'weird' moments when I was younger like trying to get in to bed before tthet doorr shut for example. I was always told that I was an attention seeker&hypercondriac by my mum. These things wernt so discussed or beelieved then. Any way I just wanted to say it may not seem like it but your daughter is lucky - lucky to have you supporting her and aknowledging there's a problem and hopefully because of this she'll get better help and not hit her 30s and then the bombshell of ocd be dropped upon her.
    take care
    sarah xx

Re: help with my daughter

I have to agree with sarah, I'm also 32 and I think as understanding as she was my mum was well a bit embarressed really. Treated it like it was nothing and thought I'd be taken off or labelled etc as in the 80's it wasn't really acknologed. Your daughter is probably pretty intelligent. Everyone I know with OCD is a high achiever . One of my sons is extremely forward and he already has it at 4!

The thing is I understand because i'm a sufferer. She will be a caring, bright and most likely very imaginative little girl, so she must learn to use her gifts and the ocd that accompanies it.

She will be fine as you are supportive and its so talked about now - hey even Beckham has it. And Capital radio were talking about it, its so common.

Good luck - she's a lucky girl.

Thread Information