Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best medication for OCD?

Best medication for OCD?

Right now I'm on Zoloft. It makes me kind of hazy, and it seems to be more of a general anti-depressant than an anti-OCD medication.

Are there better drugs out there? Preferrably ones that don't involve excessive weight gain?

Re: Best medication for OCD?

im thinking of Paxil i.e Parexotine more directed to anxiety, panic, and OCD hope that helps for you Cheers!!

Hi,

Definately Paxil, it took all my OCD thoughts and actions away. Also, helps loads with my anxiety. I personally didn't gain weight but I am on the lowest dose and on the extended release kind of med. I hope this helps.

Laura

p.s. I also tried Zoloft and it didn't help as much. Prozac just about made me go crazy as it increased my anxiety, it is more for depression.

Right now I'm trying to assess how I feel on Zoloft.

I'm still having the intrusive thoughts, but I feel kind of dazed and, uh...muted. It's hard to describe. Kind of detached, depersonalized.

I'm not in the moment.

The depression has lessened at least.

I can't stand how lazy and apathetic I feel though, I don't like the 10-pound weight gain (I'm 6 feet and 170 pounds currently).

I really want to get off this stuff. At the moment I'm on 100 mg/day, but starting tonight I'm going back to 50 grams. How long do you think before I can stop taking it altogether?

How long have you been on the zoloft? It didn't work for me. After trying many medications, Paxil, or Paraxotene works the best. I also have adjunct medications to help it along. Sometimes the haziness and out of it feeling can be the result of the anxiety itself.
    Laura

I've been on Zoloft since October of 2006.

It definitely numbed me and somewhat helped my depression, but the intrusive thoughts and anxiety were still there.

Quote Originally Posted by candidate View Post
    Right now I'm on Zoloft. It makes me kind of hazy, and it seems to be more of a general anti-depressant than an anti-OCD medication.

Are there better drugs out there? Preferrably ones that don't involve excessive weight gain?
    Hi

I've been on Paroxetine for two weeks its the best drug I've tried, most days I am almost OCD free. It reduces anxiety, it also keeps you on the level (stops you getting really down), it slows the OCD thoughts down to such a high degree that its wonderful. I felt very nauseous for the first four days of taking it and also a bit strange but now only occasionally feel a little bit sleepy or get slight indigestion but its well worth it.

After taking Prozac (which was a disaster), Citalopram (which didn't have much effect but made me dopey) Paroxetine is breath of fresh air.

I hope this works for you too xx

Ive been on Prozac, Clomipramine, Citalopram, Escitalopram, Sertraline and Venlafaxine. Out of all of those the Clomipramine worked the best but it was the best of a bad bunch and after 6 months and 2 attempts at it i still couldnt tolerate it so now im drug free.
    The things with ocd is tht there are no specific ones for ocd, they are usaully just SSRI's or SNRI's but at much much higher doses.
    Unfortuantely it is hit and miss i think, what works for some doesn't work for others!!
    Good luck!!

How long did clomiparmine take to kick in doubter and what dosage where you on ?
    Chad .

Clomipramine is the best antidepressant for OCD. But unfortunetly it as some side effects for some people. When I was on it - for over five years - the only side effect I had was minor skin iritation, but I guess everyone is differant. The dosage that worked for me was 75mg, which is not an high dose.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information