Thread: How you could get some free treatment

How you could get some free treatment

I heard about this at the No Panic conference but kept forgetting to post about it so decided I would do it now whilst I remember

If you are trying to get some treatment such as CBT or counselling and the GP tells you that the waiting list is very long then here is an idea.

Call your local University and ask them if they have any on-going research trials that cover your particular problem (e.g. panic, OCD, phobias etc).

You will be a kind of guinea pig but there are great benefits to this.

1) You will get it free
    2) You will get students who are willing and keen to learn
    3) You will probably get students who are being taught in the latest therapies and techniques. They will have fresh, new ideas.
    4) They will want to help you ensure you do well.
    5) They will be regularly reviewed to ensure they are "doing things right"

The only possible draw-back is that the treatment may be short-term as the students move on to new projects etc but at least it will be something better than nothing.

I saw a student paychologist once for 9 months and she was very good and helped me immensely.

Anyway - it would only take a call to ask - you never know what may come of it.

Please post here if you do try it and get anywhere.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: How you could get some free treatment

Thanks Nic I remember that so well...like she said at least they are up to date on the latest techniques probably more up to date than most therapists or GP's. Also people need to update themselves on the lastest N.I.C.E guidelines so they can tell thier doctors what they are entitled to and not be fobbed off.

Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember

I don't want to pour cold water on the idea, but our minds, our spirits are precious and personally I am OK with students practising on my hair etc... but not so keen on them practicing on my mind. However, 4th year students can and do set up their own practices, working as trainee therapists, and they do tend to charge lower fees.

In Leicester, and other places, there is some free therapy. I don't know what type (CBT or whatever) but you do only pay according to your means. In Leicester the organization is; "The Leicester Counselling Centre". Their work is monitored according to the code of practice laid down by the BACP. With them you get a 50 minute session each week. Nobody is turned away if they can't pay.

Blue

I am sure they wouldn't let a new person loose on you and these will be what you refer to as 4th year students.

They wouldn't take the risks otherwise.

I didn't mean a fresh-faced student straight from college.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Any type of student would have to be under supervison of some sort anyway i believe.x

I see, thanks for the info Nic.

I'm due to see a new TA therapist soon, and I'll stick with her as she seems really good, but I'm sure your info will be very useful.

Hi, just some words of reassurance. Blue I can completely understand your reservations about this, the thought of someone practising on you is a daunting one.

However, Ive been a 'student' several times.....student nurse, student midwife and student health visitor and each time had to be let loose on real live people. However this is done under supervision, close and direct supervision initially, which then becomes less so as the student gains confidence and competence. This type of learning is so structured and the importance of the impact on peoples lives should something go wrong is never underestimated, so the governing bodies are extremely carefully about ensuring both client and student safety.

Another thought....just because someone is suitably 'qualified' gives no guarantee as to the quality of their practice....I'm sure we can all think of GP's, nurses, or other professionals, whose standard of care at times has been questionable.

I think this is a great idea nic, as long as people are aware of the implications as you have mentioned. In my experience, senior students usually do a fantastic job as they are so fresh, up to date, and willing to go that bit extra for their clients.

I've just left a message on an Answering machine at 1 of my local Un's asking if I can be a Guinea Pig for Mental Health research. Guess when I rang up I should've worded it better lol. Oh well. Lets just see if they contact me.

Thanx Nic for letting us know. I think its a great idea.

Thread Information