Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: home truths

home truths

Hi Guys -

I've been a visitor to this site for some time - but not really posted, I have been recovering with panic, and anxiety for a long while now (about a year) and have been doing really well in getting better. I still have bad - days but overall i'm doing well - with no meds just CBT and a lot of my own hard work.

What i really wanted to write is about is the nature of a lot of the postings on this site, seem to be a bit of a mutual listing of symptoms and a lot of negativity, I wanted to add some my thoughts about things - that i personally reckon can make you feel a lot better. They took a long time for me to realise myself - but really helped me.

1. Firstly anxiety and panic is just that - it wont kill you or mean you are seriously ill physically or mentally , its just that. I know everyone has heard this before - and probably you think yeah right - but the feelings are still horrible. But what will make you worse is dwelling on any or all the symptoms, thinking about them, listing them, etc etc You have to tell yourself this is just anxiety and no matter how bad the symptoms it CANNOT harm you in any way. What you fear and hate is the feelings and symtoms - but dwelling on them will only make you worse - and certainly won't make you feel any better. Sure it's good to get reassurance at some points - but why not post on the website something positive, or spend some time doing something else...it sure won't do you any harm. The worse thing anxious people can do is wallow in their symptoms, don't give them any importance - not matter how horrible or weird you feel.

2. The only person or thing that will get you better is YOU. Sure you need help and support along the way - but all the vitamins, meds, herbal remedies in the world aint going to do jack - until you realise the problem is that you are scared of feeling scared, anxious and panicky you hate these horrible feelings, i know I do. But the day i stopped running from myself and these feelings was the day I realsied i could get better. A lot of people say there anxiety is caused by a chemical imbalance - but all this does is take the onus off yourself to get better - and you search for an external cure, it wont happen, the cure comes from within. You have to let the feelings come let them wash over you. Try not to tense and fight them - let them be, this is hard i know - but it works, it takes time and practise - but it works. I used to have panic attacks in my sleep - and really believed it was caused by someting in my brain - until each time i was woken by one - i took the time to let all the feelings was over me , relax and not fight them, and analyse them for what they were - just a hyped up nervous system - that thay started to subside, and no longer bother me.

3. I really dont think the medical model of anxiety is helpful - i dont think there are any pills that are gonna really help - they might reduce symptoms, but don't get to the problem. I my opinion anxiety and panic is emotionally caused - i thinks it is how we deal with our emotions that causes it. Once you stop fighting anxiety and let it come, you can start to really foucs on what it is that makes you feel like this - keep asking yourself what is it? what am i afraid of? what am i thinking? why do i think this stc etc, do i really belive these thoughts?. Instead of listing your symptoms - fill journals with your anxious thoughts and really questions them, do it a lot. Anxiety is complicated and I dont think the medical model can can really understand it - it takes a combination of approaches. Stop looking for outside cures - it is in my opinion a waste of time.

4.Recovery takes time - it wont happen over night, i think to really recover - demands real self change. I used to waste hours wishing I could be "my old self" but what if my old self was part of the problem - what if how i used to think, and behave caused the problem. So really focus on how your thoughts and actions make you feel - and how changing them makes you feel better. Curing your anxiety comes from making chan

Hi Nikk,
    Im so glad you posted this. I have just finished reading Claires' first 3 books. It all sounds logical and although a bit confusing, has helped me. I have started to follow her instructions. I find it difficult to accept the anxiety between panics, but can deal with the flashes. According to Claire, the anxiety will fade over time. Im counting on this. Its good to hear from someone who has found it works. I know its the only way, its just difficult at times to have faith.
    Im really happy you have found the 'light'. Or should I say the eye of the hurricane. Hope to find mine very soon.
    Take care
    Jude

I have one of the three books. I would appreciate you listing her books.
    I think she must have been a wonderful person!

TT

TT

HI Nikk,

I read your Post with lots of interest.

I have had these problems for years.

I too, am into Self Help, and do not take Medication.
    I know that wer'e the only person that can help our selves to
    get better with Self Help.

I have all the Books you mentioned and many more.
    I also do Affimations, Meditation and Visualisation.
    This really does help in these situations.

Of course I get the Symptoms from time to time, however,
    I can deal with them because the fear is SO much less now.
    They do not come as often when you know they will not harm you.

I go out, though not on my own yet, and Fly every where
    on Holidays, some times this helps, because your Mind is
    being diverted on other things.

Good Positive Post,

Keep in touch.

PENNY,

I admit there are 1 or 2 negative postings.
    These mainly come from new members who are mixed up, confused, drepressed and in need of help.
    Until people learn the basics of panic and how to cope with it it is understandable they are going to be on the negative/worried side.

Once us panic monsters start on the road to recovery we are way more positive, (Well I am anyways.)

Love, light and Best wishes
    Liz xxx
    With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
    The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Good stuff - the key to recovery (in my opinion) is to lose your fear of panic and anxiety, try to stop being scared of being scared. This is hard -and takes time - but it can be done.

A good analogy is to think like this - if you slip and fall on some ice, the worst thing to do is tense up and struggle - you'll hurt yourself more. The same thing with panic and anxiety - the more you tense, up and struggle, and worry the worse it will be. It's hard to do this at first - and takes time. But when you start out try and think Ok I feel anxious and panicky and that sucks - but it's happening - i dont need to add to it and feed it by worrying and tensing up. When you start to do this ... the fear passes much more quickly - and in time starts to fade and become less and less - because you are no longer fearing fear. Sounds simple doesnt it - trouble is it's not easy and takes hard work.

BUT YOU CAN DO IT - AND YOU WILL GeET BETTER!!

Cheers

i believe that with our own personal experiences anxiety can be made easier as you learn about it. Time can also be a great healer.

Hi Nikk,

I'm really glad that you have done so well in your recovery and thanks for this post.

I hope that your visits to this site over the last year helped you in understanding anxiety better in order that you could find your way forward so well.

I'd like to add a comment to a couple of your points.

In the great scheme of self help forums we get very little in the way of constant negativity. I can easily point you to some where the communal self help is little more than a constant round of whinging and self pity.

It is entirely normal for people to initially to want to share how they are feeling and to learn that they are not alone in these symptoms.
    If someone has had little or no help elsewhere and has been struggling entirely alone - the relief of finding some people who are similar is enormous. We are essentially pack animals and don't like to think that we are the only ones with some dreadful untreatable disease so on finding a collective of similarly afflicted people it is normal and healthy to have
    an out pouring of emotion and wanting to compare yourself with others and in turn, others want to respond and share how it was for them and tips on how to progress beyond that stage.. The threads can therefore seem quite dismal but for that person at that time its of therapeutic value.

In the main people then start to learn about what is going on within themselves and understand the nature of the problem and then the progress starts and the lists of symptoms and constant negativity subsides as sucessess and progress starts.

I competely agree with your points, bearing in mind some people have more self resource to draw on than others and we all need different levels of support. Some of us can go through our worst hour and back again and then move on but to some its just too overwhelming to even try.

Meds are such a contraversial topic. There is no doubt that you are totally correct in that none of them cure - be they tranquilizers or antidepressants etc- but for some people they are life savers in that they are totally desperate people not knowing what to do with themsleves for the next 5 mins and simply cannot see a way through their internal feelings.
    Meds can give you a break, a resting place in which to look at your life and make some changes also time is a healer and meds help pass some of this time whilst feeling a bit better.

Supplements and body treatments do play a role in supporting the bodys systems and whilst panicking and being anxious it puts enormous stress on the GI and nervous system and some people end up totally running on fumes and without replenishing the internal stores recovery would be more difficult.

**the key to recovery (in my opinion) is to lose your fear of panic and anxiety, try to stop being scared of being scared. This is hard -and takes time - but it can be done.** Completely correct - some people never find this alone and guiding people through this process can be complex which is where educational sites and support boards can be helpful.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Exaclty - don't get me wrong, whatever works for you is great - i did state that these were my own opinions. I was only offering my own thoughts. I wasn't suggesting all the posts are negative - and sure some people do need more help than others, and a good emotional outlet is important.

I was only suggesting that (and again this is only my opinion) the way to recovery comes from inside yourself, of course a healthy diet, exercise, vitamins are important - but they are not the only answer, part of the all round holistic approach.

If what a your doing helps - keep doing it.

Stay positive

Nikk

I agree with your opinions and thoughts wholeheartedly and thank you for posting them.

I added the comments as much for the benefit of the others who may join in the weeks ahead in an acute anxiety/panic phase, read this and get disappointed that they are not at that stage of being able to face it all head on just yet.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information