Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: loss of appetite

loss of appetite

hi there

Has any1 had loss of appetite with anxiety/panic attack i haven't eaten properly for nearly 3wks its really annoying me now. i have thoughts that there is something serious but the doc has said it is due to anxiety. I have just started on beta blockers i hope they work. Has any1 had this problem.

lin

Hi Lin,

Food repulses me at the moment. I have lost nearly a stone.
    It is a symptom. My GP said I musnt worry about it or it will make it worse.
    Just eat little and often. Big meals are impossible for me so I 'pick' at food during the day.
    Your appetite will return when the panic/anxiety subsides.
    Milky drinks and fruit juices are a good way of taking in nutrients when solid food is difficult.
    I think Nicola or one of the others can advise you on which supplements to take. I take a multi-vitamin, but wouldnt like to advise in case I get it wrong.
    Jude x

i have had this but find klittle and often helps its hard to face a full meal sometimes so just have a healthy snack if you cant face a full plate

fan x

believe me lin its something that has haunted me on and off for going on 3yrs. I have gone up and down weight from 9stone to 15stone. I was put on beta-blockers when i first got ill. Although it doesnt help with panic attacks, if it is suitable for you then it will sort out your physical symptoms, one of which being the appitite thing. Good luck

I find a microwave ready meal the best thing for a meal. The healthy option ones of course. You can eat them out of the packet if you can't be bothered with a plate and if you only eat a bit you can warm it up another time in the microwave.

Also those breakfast bars, Cadbury do a nice one with chocolate on, another healthy one believe it or not. Then of course there is the humble banana and apple. Both quite easy to stomach.

The easiest thing for me to eat when I don't feel like anything is weight watcher's chocolate éclairs.

I have no appetite but I know I must eat if my health isn't going to suffer.

Regards,

Blue
    --
    Japanese Proverb:
    Fall seven times; stand up eight.

Hi Lin,

Yes its extremely common for people to lose a lot of weight within a few short weeks.

Being anxious and shaky takes up an awful lot of energy and the racing heart, adrenalin etc speeds up the metabolism.

A handful of mixed dried fruit and nuts a few times a day is both very nutritious and energy giving and as Blue says - bananas are great.

Keep away from pure sugar, your system is under enough stress without swinging blood sugar levels.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk
    You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

i totally agree with the banana thing, full of potassium. Natural energy bar. I just make a banana and chocolate sandwich. If im really ill, i eat fruit cocktail

Hi Lin

I was excatly like you at the height of my anxiety, lostone and a half stone in about a month. I couldn't face food at all, but with time it does get easier, just another crazy symptom of anxiety.

Take care

Elaine x

hi all

I'd like to thanku for replying i'm glad u are the same as me 1 more thing does any1 get indigestion is that part of it aswell.

lin

its all part and parcel of it i think i get it often

fan x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information