Home | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms and conditions
User Name
Password
Health Anxiety Are you plagued by fears about your body or health? Are you suffering from Health Anxiety? Please check other sub-forums first to see if your problem should be posted there instead. E.G. the IBS forum or the medication forum or the symptoms forum.

Old 07-01-08, 19:32
Advanced Member

undigested food in stools

Has anyone ever had this happen? Besides the usual culprit corn.
I had a bowel movement yesterday and it had lettuce and peas in it and now I am terrifed that something is wrong!! Has anyone had this?
Old 07-01-08, 22:49
Advanced Member

Re: undigested food in stools

Hi

Are you taking pescribed meds for acid reflux. The digestion process that converts a piece of lettuce to a stool is first started in the stomach. I cant imagine that lettuce can make it through the stomach un-scathed. I think it is a good sign that you have un digested food in your stools as it shows you are eating plenty of fibre. I think you would be having other pains and the runs etc...

If you are taking meds then I suggest you talk to your doc regards to the lack of stomach acid.

Dont worry I am sure its nothing to worry about.

Mee
Old 07-01-08, 23:37

How well do you chew food? I have a bad habit of bolting my food with hardly a chew and peas and beans etc can come through easily identifiable.

I have been like this for ever if I don't chew my food properly so think if you have rushed the meal that contained these things.
Old 08-01-08, 00:13

Hi,

Same here. I can often identify food in mine but I too have been like this for years so don't worry about it.

Julie
www.tedswhinebar.com
Old 08-01-08, 12:32
Advanced Member

Yea I get this a lot, especially with certain foods. I once freaked out when I thought I had a large blood clot - it was red pepper Sorry, TMI.

I definitely don't think it's anything to be worried about. I think it can be a sign of IBS, but don't quote me on that as I'm not sure. Chewing food for longer will probably help, but I think it's reasonably normal (Gillian McKeith would disagree).

Take care and don't fret,

xxx

'If you're going through hell, keep going'. (Winston Churchill)

'Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go' (T.S. Elliot).

Old 09-01-08, 08:48
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisonj View Post
Has anyone ever had this happen? Besides the usual culprit corn.
I had a bowel movement yesterday and it had lettuce and peas in it and now I am terrifed that something is wrong!! Has anyone had this?

Hi,

Yes, happens to me several times - best thing to do is try not to inspect your stools, I tried going with bathroom light off, helped me.

Red
Old 09-01-08, 10:34

I have had this quite often and I think it is just that some foods take longer to digest than others. I would imagine peas and lettuce would fall into these categories. I once mentioned it to a doc who said this is quite normal.
Worrying about your bowel habits can make the problem worse as anx has a habit of making the bowel work faster (in my case anyway) I would try not to give it too much attention.
Happyone
xx

I've been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.
óMark Twain
Old 09-01-08, 11:21

Hi Alison,

This brings back memories for me this one. I remember at one time I used to go threw mine with an old toothbrush I like Red's idea of going in the dark. I also agree with Swan I remember my doc saying it can be linked to IBS. Try not to concentrate on it too much hun and if your anything like me something new to worry about will come along tomorrow xxx

Mandy xx

"DILLIGAF"
Old 09-01-08, 13:41

Same here. Lot's of undigested food in mine. This thread makes me feel better seeing it happens to others frequently as well. I like that idea of goin in the dark.

Andy
Old 14-01-08, 22:33

I've had this for years - literally about 20 years!

It just comes and goes and now I'v stopped worrying about it.

It's nothing - you're fine.

Tags
food, stools, undigested