Home | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms and conditions
User Name
Password
Citalopram / Celexa This forum has posts about Citalopram

Old 10-03-08, 22:02

trying to lose weight on Citalopram

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone taking this med has had problems losing weight. I gained 3 and a half stone on Seroxat in under 2 years and although I'm not putting on weight with Citalopram, although I'm trying, I'm not losing anything either. Am eating less and doing lots of exercise but apart from losing a bit in the first few weeks when I could barely eat anything, nothing is happening.
Thanks
Old 10-03-08, 22:05

Re: trying to lose weight on Citalopram

Eating less probably isn't helping, try eating more healthy, well balanced meals along with exercise and you should start to see effect once the tablets have settled in maybe?
Sorry i can't be of more help x
Old 11-03-08, 01:44
Intermediate Member

Agree with Heather - losing weight is something you have to do gradually. If you try to rush it by crash-dieting and exercising like crazy, it's not long before your body goes into starvation mode, because it's burning a lot more calories than it's receiving. This means that your metabolism slows quite dramatically and you stop losing weight - in fact you might even start putting it on again.

I put on a lot of weight on clomipramine, and at one point went on a crash diet. I lost a lot of weight in the first month, then couldn't lose any more. As soon as I started eating normally again, I put most of the weight back on - and surprisingly quickly.

(My experience with citalopram is that it makes me put on weight, but nowhere near as much as clomipramine did.)
Old 11-03-08, 16:20

I appreciate what you're saying, but I haven't been crash dieting. For the first few weeks on Citalopram, I had little appetite as I felt a bit sick, then after that, I have been eating a healthy well balanced diet for the last 8 weeks and doing lots of walking the dog, yoga and swimming.
I suppose I expected to lose slowly and steadily as I have done pre medication, but I seem to be at a stuck point with weight loss, so I was just wondering whether meds can put weight on you or slow weight loss down. I know from experience it certainly can with Seroxat, but was curious about Citalopram.
Old 13-03-08, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather22 View Post
Eating less probably isn't helping, try eating more healthy, well balanced meals along with exercise and you should start to see effect once the tablets have settled in maybe?
Sorry i can't be of more help x

i have to disgree, sorry, im 30 years old and in my experience, eating less food makes you lose weight, its very simple. Eating more food, even `healthy' food, makes you want to eat more generally. i was a size-8 for years and years and never had breakfast or even ate fruit, vegetables or drank water!!!
Old 14-03-08, 00:56

Im on citalopram and I gained weight.I then had to go on a yeast free diet which is very difficult and I lost a stone.Now Im just careful with what I eat.Crash diets are bad for you.I agree with Heather and Frances carry on eating sensible and exercising,the weight will come off.Dont keep weighing your self,do it every couple of weeks.
Im sorry but I dont agree with Miss Ellen Its not a good idea to alot less food,of course you will lose weight,but that is an unhealthy way of doing it.Not having breakfast,water,vegetables,and fruit is not good
Old 17-03-08, 00:31

Probably eating healthier food rather than less food is better.

Having said that I have put on 2 stone on citalopram without changing my diet so you have my complete sympathy !
Old 08-11-08, 02:37

I tried everythig, I ate healthily, swam evernight, kept myself fit but citalopram stops you losing weight, an honest GP should tell you that
Old 08-11-08, 08:28

Antidepressants cause weight gain FACT. It is also more difficult to lose weight you have to eat fewer calories than a person not on these me ds. Fat and happy or thin and misserable. What a choice lol
Old 08-11-08, 09:53
Advanced Member

andrea - hear hear!!! xx

Tags
citalopram, lose, weight