Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal starting dose for Citalopram?

Normal starting dose for Citalopram?

Hi I am swapping from Sertraline to Citalopram for panic and anxiety. I just wondered what dose everyone started on? The doctor has put me straight on at 20mg just seems a bit high as I have read people starting on 5 or 10mg.
    Also is Citalopram the same as Cipralex? I have been on Cipralex before and they didnt agree with me at all. But the doctor still suggested I tried these.

Many thanks

Re: Normal starting dose for Citalopram?

Hi there,

as far as I know cipralex is lexapro the newer version of citalopram.I started on 5mg of citalopram and it was enough for me for starters.

you need to be cautious as you are switching from sertraline to citalopram that you dont bring on withdrawal symptoms by starting on too low a dose of citalopram.How much sertraline were you on?

10 mg is the usual starting dose for panic disorder.I started with 5 cos of previous experiences with meds.

I have just started on 20mg and seem to be okay. The effects I have suffered are yawning, nausea and not being able to get to sleep but I have eventually been able to sleep and it seems to be getting better each day.

Hi thanks for the replies.

Bet- When I was on Sertraline before I was on 200mg but I was very depressed. The last 5 weeks since I have been back on it I have only been on 50mg. I asked to go bak on them as they really helped last time. The thing is im not depressed its just my anxiety and panic has come bak with avengance. The doctor didnt think it was worth increasing the dose for sertraline so put me on citalopram! So im gonna start them tomorrow and see what happens! what are you on them for?

Ruby- Glad to hear you havent had too many side effects hopefully I will be as lucky!

thanks again

I'm on them for panic.Citalopram has increased anxiety for me but I keep reminding myself its the tablet not my own anxiety.SSRIs tend to make me very anxious for the first few weeks thats why I start on a low dose where possible.I will stick with it for a while as I was tried on all other antidepressants except lexapro.

bet x

Hi I was started on at 10mg but I'd not taken any drugs before ( perhaps because you are swapping they are trying to keep it aligned?). I did move up to 20mg. But that was still considered a very low dose and know of many people on 60mg.

Hope all going well x

I have been on 20mg for nearly 4 weeks and it was my starting dose. I was worried about taking them as I have never taken a/d before so to start with I was cutting the tablet in half. I told the dr and he said that 10mg is not enough of a dose unless you are a frail little old lady and that all I was doing was making it take longer to work.
    IMO you should go for the dose the doc has prescribed and get them working quicker.

I know my Dr gave me a very low dose as I'd spent several months informing her there was no way I was going to take anti-D's.... Hindsight is a wonder thing - could have saved yself a couple of months of rocking at the dining table. So I should think 20mg is a pretty normal start of point for many.

Just personally if I had taken 20mg the doctor prescribed for me from day one I would have been through the roof.The doctor had to agree with me when I went back to see her.Again thats just me with my ultra sensitive nervous system

It also depends on where a person is at with their anxiety or maybe I'm just a little frail old lady LOL

If a person trusts their doctor no reason why they shouldnt start on the prescribed dose.

bet

Well I took my 1st tablet this morning and have been ok except bit of headache and feeling really hot! Hopefully that will be it no more nasty side effects! My fingers are crossed these tablets will help cos been on and off quite a few now.

Thx for all ur replies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information