Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little bit of advice please.....pretty please?

Question A little bit of advice please.....pretty please?

Hi all, have been suffering with panic attacks on and off for quite some time now. Two years ago I finally decided to see a doctor about it and he put me on 10mg of cipralex and it wotrked a treat.

Now, a few weeks back I felt my panic attacks coming back. I went to the doctor and he upped my dosage to 20mg and gave me sleeping tabs for the first two weeks.

All was good(ish) until I stopped taking the sleeping pills. Today has been awful, worse than it was when I upped my dosage. The question I have is, I have been on my new dosage for coming up to three weeks and I kinda figured that by now, my body would have got used the increase so why have I had such a poo day???? Is it the that the meds aren't working? Is it (possibly) withdrawl symptom of the sleeping pills? Is it just a side effect from the upped dosage?

This time I have completely cut out tea (of which I was drinking nearly 10 cups a day before) and now just drink water. My diet is pretty good too.

Anyone wanna hazard a guess as to why I have gone so far backwards????

Re: A little bit of advice please.....pretty please?

Hi sam....i would guess its a side effect of coming off the sleeping pills.. it can take some adjusting physically when we start or stop meds......i wouldn't worry too much about it tho cos im sure things will settle back down within a couple of days.. meds can help with our anxiety but im sure the fact that you have been feeling better also has a lot to do with the confidence that the meds are giving you and positive thinking that has come from that confidence . .... give yourself a few more days to get the sleeping tabs out of your system and im sure you will feel better again ...keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.....
    Best Wishes
    Rachel
    'Dream Catch me'
    Newton Faulkner

thanks for replying bluebell. I was thinking of taking a sleeping pill tonight to get to sleep. i haven't taken one since last tuesday. do you think that's a bad idea? i just need some sleep is all.

I think in view of the fact that you have come off the sleeping pills so quickly it must be them that have made you feel so terrible today.

I have to say any form of med that you come of and on so definately can make you feel a little different depending on the med.

I was on propranalol for a few years and came of them immediately when I became pregnant. I felt absolutely terrible but thought it was the pregnancy!! It wasnt until I had seen the doctor that he told me that no it wasnt my new little bump causing me the problem but coming off the meds. By then I had gone through it all so was seeing a light at the end of the tunnel but wouldnt like to go through it all again.

I myself am now off the meds but do see a definate change in my anxiety when I change my vitamins and diet. I decided after speaking to Milly and Meg on this site that I would go down the vitamins and diet route instead of meds. I no longer drink tea, coffee or coke etc. I only drink camomile or water. I do drink quite a lot of water as some sites say anxiety is linked to dehydration.

Let us know whether you decided to take that sleeping tablet.

Hayley

Could be the withdrawal of those pills, if not, maybe the 20mg doesn't agree with you.

This is another angle you ought to look at...

This is from your previous post...

For nearly two years I have been on 10mg of cipralex and have felt almost back to normal. (Maybe you just had a bad day or the pressures that caused them no longer existed?)

To be honest I haven't even thought about panic attacks for a long time,
    (Which is why you've not had one since.)

and then, last week, I went shopping and had a panic attack.
    (Due to "new" stresses in your life or a bad day.)

Ever since then I have been in a permanant state of panic.
    (Because you've now started thinking about them again)

Cipralex has suddenly stopped doing anything.
    (Maybe it was never working before anyway?)

Panic attacks often occur because of stresses in our lives and after we've experienced one, we often become so afraid of them coming back that we "worry" ourselves into making them re-occur because we're always "thinking" about when the next one will be.

It maybe that Cipralex "appears" to have suddenly stopped working because you've started to "think" about panic attacks again which is now making you feel more panicky again rather than the Cipralex ever having any real effect.

If you can go back to not "thinking" about having a panic attack you'll probably be fine unless the stresses in your life that caused your recent panic attack still exist.

The sleeping tablets are a separate issue I feel. Your body has simply reacted to not having them.

I would though ask yourself what's been going on in your life recently that may have caused your recent panic attack before you pin your hopes on the Cipralex like before or you may be faced with this situation again in the future.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHayley View Post
    I think in view of the fact that you have come off the sleeping pills so quickly it must be them that have made you feel so terrible today.

I have to say any form of med that you come of and on so definately can make you feel a little different depending on the med.

I was on propranalol for a few years and came of them immediately when I became pregnant. I felt absolutely terrible but thought it was the pregnancy!! It wasnt until I had seen the doctor that he told me that no it wasnt my new little bump causing me the problem but coming off the meds. By then I had gone through it all so was seeing a light at the end of the tunnel but wouldnt like to go through it all again.

I myself am now off the meds but do see a definate change in my anxiety when I change my vitamins and diet. I decided after speaking to Milly and Meg on this site that I would go down the vitamins and diet route instead of meds. I no longer drink tea, coffee or coke etc. I only drink camomile or water. I do drink quite a lot of water as some sites say anxiety is linked to dehydration.

Let us know whether you decided to take that sleeping tablet.

Hayley

Hi, thanks for replying. i took the sleeping pill and it knocked my stright out, which was nice. Sadly I woke up at 7am. I am still in bed, as I just can't move. Have called my doctor, and I am apparently getting a call back at some point. Fingers crossed for me.

UPDATE: Right just spoke to my doctor. He didn't really say much. He gave me the telephone number for my local MIND place and arranged a house visit for tomorrow. Is there any point in giving them a call? Or are they just going to reel off the same garb, 'Do excercise and distract yourself.' If so, I don't think I'll bother.

Any ideas?

ANOTHER UPDATE: I rang MIND. The lady was very nice. She is sending out an information pack and a questionarre. She told me that they offer councelling but the waiting list is about 6-8 weeks, and that is just to process the info. Councelling waiting list could be longer. I'm not entirely sure what to think about it, but I am glad I called them as I am doing what I can.

Feeling pretty low right now though. Although, I must say, just writing how I feel seems to have relieved...something. Maybe it's because I am making concious effort to DO something. Still in bed though. I know I can get out of bed, but I don't want to. Does that make sense? I just have no desire to do anything. I haven't seen anyone apart from my doctor or my flatmates since my birthday (29th March), I haven't been out out since my panic attacks returned. I have gone to the shops, but since I live about a shop on the high street that is no real achievement. It's not so much that I feel lonely (as some people experience which is awful) it's more that I have no motivation, no desire to do, watch, read anything. I am just staring at my laptop, clock-watching and waiting for when I can take another sleeping pill which, my doctor said on the phone, I can do.

The bad taste it leaves doesn't bother me too much. I just wish I could find a method (medication or otherwise) that can stop me from obsessing about it all.

It's not like I don't have hobbis or anything. Over the past two years, whilst on the cipralex, I have been writing a novel which isn't far from completion. I also play guitar. I was in band for a number of years but since my panic attacks that kind of fell apart. I still write songs . But right now, the desire for both of these is nill. I want to finish the book as I feel that would be a great achievement yet at the same time, I feel that I need to be in a better state mentally to actually do that. So that in itself is somewhat of a vicious circle.

Sorry about how long this has turned out to be and I hope none of you mind me writing all this.

To all those suffering out there, I send my deepest sympathies and hope that tomorrow will be a better day for us all. Sadly that old cliche of "one day at a time" is really the only option. Grin and bear it and hope tomorrow is easier.

anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information