Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New girl, need advice/support

New girl, need advice/support

Hi everyone,

Before I introduce myself, I just want to say how impressed I am with this site...much more uplifting and positive than anything else I've seen on the internet!
    My name is Lisa, and I have just recently been having problems with anxiety. It all started about a month before I had to defend my Master's thesis. It felt like something "snapped" inside me...I started reading every sentence I had written, and thinking of every way the examiners could attack me on it. This caused extreme anxiety (rapid heart rate 24-7, sweating etc etc) that then lead to not sleeping and not eating (I lost 30 lbs in 2 months, and I wasn't that big to begin with!). Somehow I made it through the defence. I had 4 days break, then I started my new job (I know, I know, bad idea, but my start date had been decided months in advance!). I lasted 4 days at work. The anxiety got even worse, if thats possible, and I started getting panic attacks. Had to quit the job because I felt that I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, and could not go on.
    That was 2 months ago. The first month was H**L, I was feeling extreme anxiety 24-7, still not eating, and terrified of sleeping. At times I also felt like I was losing my mind and might have to go to the hospital (probably a result of the sleep deprovation). My doctor started me on Citalopram, and I've been going to acupuncture twice a week. The physical symptoms of the anxiety have subsided, and I'm sleeping a bit better, but my thinking patterns are still highly anxious....I constantly think about my medication. I've been on the citalopram for 7 weeks now, and my doc just increased my dose to 30 mg. I've been having problems with the side-effects: dry eyes, ringing ears, lethargy etc. Is anyone else on citalopram, and do these go away? I guess because I'm anxious I am more sensitive to these effects, but its starting to worry me that they won't go away. I am also taking Zopiclone to help me sleep, and am constantly worried that I won't be able to come off of it...anyone else had this experience and successfully weaned themselves off? Before all this happened I was a big believer in natural/holistic remedies, and the fact that I'm on these serious meds is also causing concern. Sorry for the long rambling message, but I just needed to get this off my chest to someone who understands. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the site and great to see you have found comfort in it already.

Sorry you are having such a hard time. I am on citlopram and yes the side affects do go after time. You just need to look after yourself and take time out for you after such a hard period in your life. Sorry the job didnt work out but i am sure when you feel better there will be lots of options open to you.

Anxiety does cause us to go into detail about how we are feeling and cause more worry than if we werent suffering.

Hope to hear more from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the site, you have come to the right place, I can honestly say that with the help of the people on this forum I am 98% better than I was 12 months ago.

You will find lots of posts on Citalopram under medication that should help you.

Have you tried any relaxation techniques, exercise, etc?
    You will find the "first steps" page on the home page very helpful too.

Take care

Elaine x

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum. Im glad you have found it so positive and helpful.

There are many people here who can advise you on medication. Im sure you will find that you will be able to wean yourself off without problems.

Take care

Judex

Be gentle with yourself....you just need some time to heal.

Hi Lisa,

What you've described is a very usual pattern of anxiety .
    The thing I see is a course of CBT .

Meds can give you a break from the symptoms but they are not going to sort out your problem of the habit you've got into of your over analysing and negative thinking behaviours which is what is at the root of all this .

I hope your weight has plateaued now.

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective
    More thoughts : Mind Games
    Thoughts: obsessive thoughts & anxiety

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

hi lisa,

Welcome to the site, glad you found it, It is a great site there is ways someone who can help you not matter what you ask and we are a very friendly bunch, this site has been brilliant for me i hope you enjoy it to,

kairen x

HI all,

Thanks for all your kind words!

Only went on the meds out of sheer desperation (and on the advice of my counsellor), would really prefer to not have to take them. Am pretty worried about coming off them because I have heard some bad stories. If anyone has anything positive to contribute, I would appreciate it. It seems that you hear so much about the negative events associated with SSRIs, but noone talks about it if they are fine.

I definitely realize that counselling is the only way that I will beat this...the meds are just a temporary measure to calm me down enough so that I can think about things properly and deal with them. The Problem is that I have been seeing my counsellor for about 2 months now, and we spend most of the time chatting, but she pretty much was refusing to do any therapy since I was too "acute". I go to see her again next week, hopefully we'll be able to get down to work now that I have stabilized. Oh, and my weight has stabilized...got my appetite back fairly early on and have gained 3 pounds! Trying hard to eat well to get my body healthy again.

I have signed up for Yoga for Relaxation, and thinking about joining a Yoga studio so that I can go regularly. Anyone had experience with Yoga? Is it helpful for anxiety?

Sorry about the barrage of questions...I'm just ecstatic to meet people who have been there and have come through!

Take care everyone,

Lisa

Pilates

You're going to be on your SSRI for a while and yes there are lots of people who have had a very easy time coming off them with no problems.

Hi Lisa

Just wanted to welcome you aboard the forum and website. I am pleased that you found it of some help.

I am pleased that you are going to try yoga as that will really help with the breathing etc.

Do stick around and let us know how things go ok?

Nicola

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the forum.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information