Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine

Caffeine

Simple question.

When it comes to caffeine, how much is excessive?

The reason I ask this, I can quite easily go without, I have cut down many times and even cut it out altogether over periods of years. But, I'm sure you all know what it is like when you need to get up for your daily duties, whether that be work, studies, housework, looking after kids, or watching This Morning religiously. You get up, maybe feel fine for a bit, then your concentration fades, your eyes begin to droop and you look like you have just woken up all over again. Many of you will also know that caffeine can be a good, simple quick fix for this, 5 minutes and you're beginning to return to a semi-respectable state.

Just one can often do the trick, but is one too many? That's my concern. If not, is two too many? What's acceptable? I understand that some people are more sensitive than others (I think I fall into the sensitive category), but sometimes I feel I can't function properly without this fix, and in that sense it appears to be beneficial. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons here.

Alternatively, feel free to reply with some good wake up tips.

mico

Hi Mico this one puzzles me too. If you are in hospital, at therapy like CBT etc or even at a psychiatric hospital they all offer you tea or coffee, and when I used to go to see a physiatrist at the psychiatric hospital the patients seemed to always be drinking tea and coffee lol

Hiya Mico

I have never seen caffeine as a "pick you up". I gave it up over 5 years ago and drink de-caff if I fancy a coffee.

I guess one cup a day is ok but I am wondering why it makes you feel so "up" just by drinking it. Not had that feeling before from caffeine.

Not much help am I - sorry!

Nicola

That's the NHS for you Vern

Oh one other thing - when Meg and I went to the anxiety conference last year they did not have jugs of decaf. If you wanted one they gave you a mug of hot water and a sachet of decaf. Surely they should be promoting decaf at functions like that!

Equally they didn't have any cold water on tap to drink.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Nicola

Yeah, I know what you're saying Nic, I've never seen it as the wonder drink that many others see it as. But lately I've been needing to concentrate through the day, and I'm by no means a morning person, but I find a coffee wakes me up just enough for a little concentration to return. Otherwise I just sit daydreaming all day!

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Oh one other thing - when Meg and I went to the anxiety conference last year they did not have jugs of decaf. If you wanted one they gave you a mug of hot water and a sachet of decaf. Surely they should be promoting decaf at functions like that!

Equally they didn't have any cold water on tap to drink.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Nicola

<div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 22 April 2005 : 19:59:09</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    Yeah, I never actually thought about this before until Vern brought it up. Does seem rather strange.

Caffeine is evil and it really makes me panic!! It affects some people less than others though so I guess it depends entirely on the person. If you can drink loads of caffeine and you don't think that it makes you more anxious then why not drink it??

Its served everywhere because its cheap- bought in bulk and decaf isn't bought in bulk and its what people expect and ask for..

Mico , I think caffiene is fine as long you're not symptomatic so whether its 1-3 or 7 it doesn't matter providing its not adding to your issues or getting you more edgy.

Many people have never cut it out don't know what its like to be without it so if you cut it out and feel better - then it was excessive.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Meg

I guess those where my thoughts before I started this topic to be honest. Just a case of trial and error.

Thanks for the replies, I shall just have to see if I flip over the edge anytime in the near future. If that should be the case, I may have to stop drinking it again.

mico

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information