Thread: Please help me! Sore side of tongue

Please help me! Sore side of tongue

I have been having a bad few days with anxiety and have been swallowing a great deal (you all know the drill) well this morning I woke up to a sore side of tongue. It feels like I have an ulcer but when I look it seems to be a patch of red spots (sort of the kind you get when you suck the skin on your arm too long). I'm trying to be rational and putting it down to the excessive swallowing because it is right by where I have a tooth missing (meaning it's like a sort of suction issue on the tongue). It's not sore to the touch but sort fo sore when I swallow.

Has anyone else had a sore tongue from excessive swallowing???

I've resisted googling and must ask (beg) for no scary facts!!

Re: Please help me! Sore side of tongue

Well i dont personally suffer from excessive swallowing, and i have never sucked the skin on my arm for any length of time so dont know what the red spots look like, but from someone 'outside' of this anx symptom i would say your tongues is sore because of the constant swallowing...its obviously a friction thing as you say yourself. Bit like the feeling after sucking too many hard sweets. Your tongue is bound to be sore if its constantly being rubbed in the same spot.

What did you think it might be otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy V View Post
    What did you think it might be otherwise?
    Hi Cathy! I know it sounds stupid, unfortunately I'm easily spooked these days and anything new and unknown is scaring me. As for what I thought it was, I don't like to think. I do have a small ulcer as well.

Hi
    I had a sore tongue and asked the dentist on my last visit about it. He first asked if I eat a lot of salty food, then asked if I grind my teeth. I don't think I do. Then he said people under stress tend to grind or clench their teeth which means your tongue is pushed onto your teeth or the roof of your mouth often causing soreness. I know I clench my teeth because I get a lot of aching in my jaw. I hadn't told him about my anxiety so this is obviously something he has encountered before. He told me to give it a couple of months and then come back if it was no better. I think they can fit some sort of shield to stop the grinding/clenching.
    Maybe you have the same
    Goodlife xx

Quote Originally Posted by Goodlife View Post
    Hi
    I had a sore tongue and asked the dentist on my last visit about it. He first asked if I eat a lot of salty food, then asked if I grind my teeth. I don't think I do. Then he said people under stress tend to grind or clench their teeth which means your tongue is pushed onto your teeth or the roof of your mouth often causing soreness.
    Goodlife xx
    Hi Goodlife. Thank you for that. On my last visit my dentist did tell me that he can see signs that I do grind my teeth, and my husband says he can hear it at night.

Now all I need to do is not worry about the ulcer on my tongue nearby. I don't suppose you've had those too??

I had this for months, it was caused by stress, i was sucking the roof of my mouth in my sleep, i had quite a few red spotty patches, as soon as i calmed myself down and knew it wasn't something awful, it stopped.

Hope this helps

di xx

Quote Originally Posted by diane07 View Post
    I had this for months, it was caused by stress, i was sucking the roof of my mouth in my sleep, i had quite a few red spotty patches, as soon as i calmed myself down and knew it wasn't something awful, it stopped.

Hope this helps

di xx
    Thank you, di! It does indeed help. I don't suppose you developed an ulcer too did you??

Thread Information