Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm new!

I'm new!

This is the first time I've used one of these websites so I thought I would give it a go.

I've had panic attacks for about 5 years now and until January I have been on Ciprimil (anti-depressant). A couple of months ago I had a relapse and have been trying to recover ever since. This is a new experience for me as I am doing it without any medication so the emotions I am feeling are new as they were masked before. The biggest problem I have is the feeling of "losing control" and going mad. I always think that something is going to tip me over the edge and I will be in a state of panic forever. Does anyone else feel like this? I also have a problem with safety behaviours. I don't think I can function without certain people around me and always take a book, stereo and water with me everywhere I go. A big problem is a sense of feeling "trapped" when I am away from home. I constantly worry about how I am going to get home from places as travelling has always been a problem. Any thoughts/ideas/comments would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard!! I'm sure you will receive lots of support here.

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Hi Alton,

A warm welcome to the site. Well done for coming of the meds.

Yes that is one of the scariest feelings the fear of loosing contol and being in a state of panic. I feel the same at times but i give myself a good talking to & think POSITIVELY. Also listen to a relaxation CD as its very difficult to be anxious if your body is totally relaxed.

There is nothing wrong with safety behaviours you are just getting prepared and organised. Although you will be able to fuction without others around it just takes time and small steps.

I suffer with Claustrophobia so I understand that feeling of being trapped its horrid!

One Quote I find useful to say over when I'm away is: "HOME HAS NO MAGICAL POWERS TO KEEP YOU SAFE - YOUR SAFE PLACE LIES WITHIN YOURSELF"

Take Care,

Love PIP'S XX

Hi Alton

Welcome to the forum.

Hope we can be of some help to you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Hey Alton,

Welcome to the site!

tracy x x

Hi Alton and welcome to the site.

That's very sensible of you to take a CD, Book and water with you when you go out. The first two will relax your mind and distract you away from those wandering negative thoughts, whilst the water will prevent dryness which you are susceptible to with anxiety.

I don't suffer from the 'getting home' thing as you do, but an idea might be to practice small journeys every day and gradually build up the distances to harden your resistance.

Take Care

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

Hi Alton

The worry over going mad is a common one and it boils down to being the only explanation we can come up with for why we feel so scared and fuzzy and have these scary thoughts..

It doesn't happen. Neuroses ( anxiety / panic) and psychosis have different disease pathways and one does not lead to the other.

No problems with the props although pure CBT therapists wouldn't like it - usually a mobile phone is added in too..

People is more of an issue for medium and long term.. and you may want to work on regaining your independence a bit more.

driving

First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Hi Alton

Welcome to the site.
    I can relate to a lot of what you said, and I am sure many of the members will too.
    I hope you'll find some answers here, and I am sure you'll get great support and advices.
    Take care.
    Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

Hi Alton

Just to wish you a welcome aboard the forum and hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Hi Alton, welcome I know you will get lots of support and wonderful help here.
    I always find my way out of a place before i put myself in it.
    I often sit by the door in places and in yoga lay by the door,
    If im in shops I am aware of where the emergency exit is.
    I really felt I was loosing control for a long time and this was my safety net.
    In time I know I will move away etc but there is no rush, I am doing what I couldnt even do a while ago, so keep positive keep trying, you will get there.
    Well done for managing without medication, take care love Alexis

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information