Home | Contact | Sitemap | Privacy Policy | Terms and conditions
User Name
Password
Propranolol This forum has posts about Propranolol

Old 03-06-05, 22:08

Propranolol and Alcohol?

Hi,

Have just been put on Half Inderal LA(Propranolol) 80mg, been taking them for past 3 day's and do feel a bit calmer.

Tomorrow i'm going to a football game and plan to have a good few drinks will this do me harm??

I'm thinking of missing my dose tomorrow incase of an interaction.

On your med. page about propranolol it say's "Do not drink alcohol, the interaction of propranolol and alcohol is dangerous"?, but in the leaflet with the tablets it say's "If you frequently drink alot of alcohol this may reduce the effect of your medicine."( which sounds as if you are ok to drink with this medicine). And totally nothing about avoiding alcohol at all.

I wasn't worried at all about having a good drink, until i read the page on meds.

Any ideas?

Tucker.
Old 03-06-05, 22:14
Administrator

Hi Tucker

I am in the process of re-vamping the meds page on the site.

I am a bit confused now cos looking it up in my meds book says "no problem" but then if you google it you get all sorts of info about it!!!

I hope Meg sees this and helps out cos I am not sure now either.
Sorry!

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"
Old 03-06-05, 23:32

Th rule of thumb is that you can have a drink or two but not get competely blattered on a regular basis.

A high proportion of slightly rotund middle aged + drinkers in your local pub are liley to have been through the betablockers catagory at some stage and continued with their pub outings.

Propanolol is lipid soluable so gets excreted by the liver so you want to maintain some sort of function there... ...

Betablockers slow your heart rate and a stimulant like alcohol naturally increases the heart rate so they are working against each other..

Have a good game. As you're new on them it would be wise to listen to how you feel between pints ..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...
Old 04-06-05, 16:19

Good luck at the game!! A few drinks will probably be fine. Just don't go overboard..

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal
Old 20-11-07, 01:55

Re: Propranolol and Alcohol?

hi
have been worried about mixing alchohol while on these. but hope its ok.
Old 20-11-07, 06:24

Hi Tucker,

I have to admit to frequently washing my betablockers down with alcohol when I took them about 10 years ago. However I really feel that mixing any kind of medicine - anti depressant/tranqualiser/beta blocker with a depressant, alcohol, is not such a good idea. I'm a recovering alcoholic and drank frequently convinced that anybody with panic attacks like mine would do the same. In the end I couldn't tell whether it was the alcohol making me anxious or I was anxious!
Old 05-04-11, 13:07

Smile Re: Propranolol and Alcohol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Th rule of thumb is that you can have a drink or two but not get competely blattered on a regular basis.

A high proportion of slightly rotund middle aged + drinkers in your local pub are liley to have been through the betablockers catagory at some stage and continued with their pub outings.

Propanolol is lipid soluable so gets excreted by the liver so you want to maintain some sort of function there... ...

Betablockers slow your heart rate and a stimulant like alcohol naturally increases the heart rate so they are working against each other..

Have a good game. As you're new on them it would be wise to listen to how you feel between pints ..

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...
Thank you for that, it's a big help.
Old 13-01-12, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I'm sorry but what are your qualifications to be giving this advice?
Alcohol is not a stimulant, it is a depressant. It doesn't increase the heart rate, it lowers it. And they will not be "working against each other", they will more likely be adding to the same effects.

http://www.drinkaware.co.uk/facts/di...rt-term-memory.

I am greatly disturbed by your willingness to give someone medical advice without making sure what you say is accurate. I would suggest that unless you are a medical professional, you cease dispensing medical advice. If you are a medical professional (doctor, nurse, pharmacist, etc - Not some quack voodoo witch doctor like a homoeopath or some other alternative medicine con person) then you should return to study immediately.
Old 13-01-12, 12:35
Administrator

Concern - Meg is no longer active on the forum but is a RGN. (nurse).

I was just wondering how you found this post as it is very old now.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt
Old 13-01-12, 14:13
Administrator

I have read loads of sites about this now and most say that although it can decrease the heart rate it will then then increase it again and loads of people report an increase in the heart rate.

There are loads of studies about it on the internet as well so I think you are unjustified in your comments about what Meg said to be honest.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Tags
alcohol, propranolol