Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Do The Breathing

How Do You Do The Breathing

I am finding it difficult to do the 7/11 techique I cant breathe in for that long and havnt got enough air in my lungs to breathe out that long.

I was taught 4 in 4 out breathing and found that helpful - shall I carry on with 4 in 4 out or try 7/11 again until I get it right???[xx(]

All the best

Feel free pm me if you want to chat

steno -x-

I would do what ever feels comfortable for you. As long as you are breathing through the diaphram and not doing short, shallow breaths I don't think it really matters how long.

Stick to what you know. If it ain't broke - Don't fix it!

Yeah, do what makes you feel good Or count faster? I count fairly fast when doing the 7 11 thing. But stick with what works for you, definitely good advice.

-Martin

------------------------------
    I'm not insane.. really

Hi,
    Its whatever suits you. Just relax and breathe from your diaphram. It isn't set in stone how many you should count.

Jenxx

J. Farmer

Hi again Steno,
    This how it works. Quote:
    You can practice a special type of breathing, not into your chest but deep into your tummy or diaphragm which is below your chest. The important thing here is that the out breath must be longer that the in breath. This causes stimulation of the part of your nervous system responsible for relaxation. This is a basic law of biology and if you breathe in this way then your body will have no choice but to relax.

It may take a few minutes but the body will respond regardless of what your mind is thinking. Experience this now. Sit down and close your eyes for a little while. Just become aware of your breathing…and breathe in to the count of seven… and breathe out to the count of eleven. You can hold for a couple of seconds at the bottom of the out breath if that's comfortable for you.

It may be a little difficult at first, but doing this regularly causes your general anxiety level to come down. You may also find that you begin to breathe this way automatically if you feel anxious. Regular relaxation actually starts to inhibit the production of stress hormones in the body so it actually becomes harder and harder to panic. As you become more generally relaxed the 'baseline' of arousal from which you are starting lowers. It actually becomes harder to get stressed!

Hyperventilation responds very well to this technique. If you practice this daily, hyperventilating should cease to be a problem very quickly. It can also give you much more control over panic attacks.

Hope helps.

Take Care Dee.

Thanks every1. I will try the 7/11 agen

All the best

steno -x-

Steno, I found the 'counting' method uncomfortable to do. What I tend to do now is take a steady deep breath into my belly, the sort you do when sighing. Hold it for a while then release a steady breath at about half the speed you took it in. I find this slows my anxiety down a lot quicker than trying to follow a set pattern and also when a bad attack sets in I find a set pattern goes to pot.

Mark x

mjh74,
    that sounds very good i will b trying that

All the best

steno -x-

I also used to just hold my breath for a bit after a smooth deep abdominal in breath and then let it out as slowly as possible but not get hung up on any counting.

It has the same end effect of keeping the blood gases stable .

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
    Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

My therapist told me it doesn't matter what count you use, as long as the out breath is longer than the in breath.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information