Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citalopram Dose

Citalopram Dose

About 4 weeks ago my nerves went into meltdown and almost in a state of trauma and unable to sleep etc. I went to my GP and he put me on 10mg Citalopram and asked me to return in 4 weeks. After 1 week I was still in a state so returned and had to see another GP who confirmed I stay on 10mg. After another week I was away staying with family and had to visit a local GP as I felt so bad with trembling, sweaty hands and feet and feeling frightened. This GP said I should be on 30mg which I started the following day. I feel that the 30mg made things worse. Another GP confirmed that 10mg is too low. I have reduced the dose to 20mg which does not seem so bad, although the underlying problem is still with me. Feeling frightened, trembling, negative, sweaty hands and feet etc. In summary absolutely AWFUL! and difficult to cope with.

Can I ask for some input with experience with various doses please, as GP's I have consulted have conflicting views.

Re: Citalopram Dose

20 - 60 mg's is the recommended dosage....not heard great results for that med for anxiety..(i read and read about all meds for anxiety lol)

...ask for xanax as i think it will suit your case best..i am jealous that you can take the meds!..I have a fear of taking them even though they could change my life

Smile Re: Citalopram Dose

Hi..... I suffer from severe health anxiety to the point where i pass out quite often.. it sounds odd and scary but i get so wound up and dizzy this is the result. Anyhow back to the topic.. i take 40mg a day of citalopram and that does seem to help.. at first you may feel tired after any dose of this medication as it is part of a group of anti-depressants which calm you down quite quickly. Afternoon fatigue is really normal so dont worry or panic if you feel really lethargic (or even a little bit spaced out) at first. Also, In terms of anxiety, whilst this medication helped me a lot.. if the worry is so bad it interferes with sleep, work or daily life talk to your GP about Cognitive Therapy... It sounds scary and a bit weird but it helps so much.. if only for the reassurance that someone is listening and really takes your anxiety as seriously as you do

x x Hope that helped in some way.

Kayleigh x

Thanks Kayleigh. I am particularly interested in the building up of the dose. I suspect jumping from 10mg to 30mg heightened my anxiety more. Thanks for the tip, I have been to Cognative Therapy. Found it useful while there but difficult to get the same effect when alone.

I definately agree with Phil, sometimes just taking the meds will make your anxiety worse, and some have even been found to increase anxiety until you reach the comfortable level needed to maintain a handle on it. Without Xanax, I would be suffering so much more every day. It helps with the feelings just starting a new medication, or your own anxiety can dish out.

I don't know about you, but I made the mistake of reading the side effects of every medication I take, just a tip, give it to someone to hold onto that won't let you read them, or rip them up...cause sometimes, I know, I can read something and make myself feel a certain way, cause our minds are capable of such a thing at times and good luck <3

Hi there

As you are now on 20mg your body should get used to it and you can go to 30mg then 40mg. It doesnt mean you will suffer any side effects as these do go away completely as your system adjusts to the drug.

Regardless of what you hear this drug is very good at treating anxiety and panic.

I myself was prescribed Lorazepam as well for the first 4 weeks as these help calm you down until the Citalopram kicks in which is usually after 2 weeks. It takes about 6 weeks to get the full benefit and up to 6 months of the full dose that works for you.

Please dont listen too much to all the negatives as most of these people that get a lot of side effects get them with aspirins as well.

Best of luck

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
    Hi there

As you are now on 20mg your body should get used to it and you can go to 30mg then 40mg. It doesnt mean you will suffer any side effects as these do go away completely as your system adjusts to the drug.

Regardless of what you hear this drug is very good at treating anxiety and panic.

I myself was prescribed Lorazepam as well for the first 4 weeks as these help calm you down until the Citalopram kicks in which is usually after 2 weeks. It takes about 6 weeks to get the full benefit and up to 6 months of the full dose that works for you.

Please dont listen too much to all the negatives as most of these people that get a lot of side effects get them with aspirins as well.

Best of luck

Andrew
    Thanks Andrew thats most helpful. How long did you stay on one dose until it was increased for you? Would you expect it to treat all symptoms mentioned above?
    Presumably the Lorazepam is the same family as Diazepam?

Sorry Controversy again...I wont take meds partly because I dont like taking drugs not even pain killers and partly because in a illness of the mind it causes dependance. You have a sensitised mind and so it will become very responsive to changes chemically...to me it would be just like taking to the bottle...or smoking crack....marajuana.

The mind is the top of our tree the only thing that can deal with it is itself. Retraining the bad habits...meditation is my drug I am totally hooked and love an hours meditation a day in the morning.

Thanks

Mee

If meditation works why are you complaining about panic?

Some geniune cases need meds but this drug isn't good for the situation As said it takes time to work, hence the proper med is a benzo in this case

i used citalopram about 4 years ago for a period of 6 months. I kept at 20mg throughout and was able to come off them very easily - reduced from 20 to 10 then down to 5 over a period of a couple of weeks. I found them very effective in helping me manage my anxiety at that time and more importantly i didnt suffer any withdrawals when i felt the time was right to stop using them. The first couple of days taking them i suffered heightened anxiety , i knew to expect this as i had studied the side effects with a fine tooth comb.......lol xx for the first week or so when i started taking them i felt really sleepy and lethargic and slightly detatched as my body got used to them.

Best of luck and keep seeing your gp until you reach a doesage that is working for you or as others have said see if there are any other drugs that may be better suited to yourself

K x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information