Thread: please help me - mad cow disease

please help me - mad cow disease

please can someone help me sort these thoughts out?

ever since I broke up with my ex boyfriend, 8 years ago, I have worried that I have caught a disease from him. i eventually plucked up the courage to have std tests done and have literally being tested for every std possible, and all negative. but every time one came back negative my mind just moved on to the next one.

now there are no stds left to have so my mind has now got obsessed with vcjd - mad cow diease. i am not worried about having caught it myself through eating bad meat. i just worry that ex boyfriend infected me with it thru sex. how crazy is that? and all the information i read about it on the internet says it is not sexually transmitted anyway. howver it can be passed on thru blood transfusions, so if it can be passed that way i find it hard to believe it canot be passed on thru sex. I am thinking about this all the time and it upsets me so much.

please can anyone offer any help? i just want to free my mind of this and enjoy my lovely husband and beautiful baby girl but feel like i will never really be able to:(

Re: please help me - mad cow disease

Hi Sandy,

Have you been diagnosed with OCD? If not, you could be suffering with health anxiety which really doesn't matter but manifests itself similarly. You could go to your GP for reassurance and if you are diagnosed with OCD there are meds to help you cope. Also, there is counseling too which I think you could benefit from and would make your life so much more easy and enjoyable. Believe me, I know how difficult this is for you and getting these worrisome thoughts out of your head but sometimes we can't do it on our own and need some help. I do hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes,

Laura

The chances of you contracting mad cow disease are roughly the same as the chances of Michael Jackson providing medical proof that he is still wearing his original nose.

Honestly, mad cow disease is like rocking horse poo -- rarely encountered. Your ex could not have given you that disease unless he was an infected cow and you ate his spinal column. So it is likely that you have got nothing to worry about

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I drew the line between hope and despair, and the line will hold.

"Forth now, and fear no darkness!"

Hi

PsychoPoet has phrased it rather well.

You have nothing to worry about.

Hi,
    The Human Form Of Mad Cow Disease(vCJD) is far more common than people realise in the UK, there is no routine test at post mortem, the symptons are similar to MS & dementia vCJD can be easily be mis-diagnosed. Also the UK governments approach to screening all Blood Donors for vCJD is a "Do Nothing Approach". There are tests avaiable to screen blood for vCJD but they are not in use. Unfortunately it is a case of lobbying your MP/PrimeMinister for action. People are still dying in the UK in 2010 from vCJD, poor Dean Burrell aged 24 from Norfolk is currently months or even weeks away from dying from this horrensous disease which is man-made, thanks to our farming industry. Also BSE in still in UK herds as recently as July 2009, please look up the Food Standards Agency Website where this is documented. Also please look up the "justiceforandy" website this has a vast amount of information.
    There is a culture of secrey over BSE and vCJD in this country do not be fooled.

Im sorry Sandy I agree with psychopoet and those who say you have nothing to worry about. I believe if you were to have a test for vcjd or bse then it would be negative and you would therefore turn to something else. I believe it is more about an anxiety disorder and feel that being told that "mad cow disease" is still very much prevalent really wont help you much. As much as it probably is I don't think that this is the problem here but rather your anxieties. I was the same when I split up with my ex, fretting I had every std under the sun even though it was technically impossible with us. Please do not fret xxxx

Thread Information