Thread: Finally admitted what the problem is!

Finally admitted what the problem is!

Hi everyone

Ok, I feel like I've made progress today as I have finally realised that it must be my mind controlling my throat problem!

Even though one of the doctors yesterday thought he could feel something in my stomach I thought rationally today that I could just ask my gp to see if she can feel anything, and also even if there was a problem in my stomach that obviously has no bearing on my difficulty in swallowing!

So I thought I would go back to the doctors on Monday and ask what kind of therapy would be available for me because I think I have got to such a stage I cant bear the feeling of anything solid in my mouth! Does anyone know if I should request a specific therapy or should I leave it up to the doctor to suggest something?

Thanks as always

Helen x

Wow , well done for getting to that conclusion .. glad you got there in the end...

What made you realize that today ?

Energy follows thought. Think scared = being scared

You need CBT

Read up on our home pages for more information

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Great progress Helen.

I agree with Meg that you should ask for CBT.

What is with the stomach thing ? Is that being looked at as well?

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

Thanks Meg and Nicola

A doctor yesterday thought he could feel something in my stomach and wanted to send me for a scan but the consultant didnt check me and said to go back to the doctors if I get worse, so I thought I would ask my gp to check out the stomach thing to see if she could feel anything. (I have noticed anything in my stomach, but of course now I am thinking about it because it was brought up then not checked out!)

I went to bed so depressed that I would never eat again and that my career was being affected cos I have had to postpone India and I have no social life at the mo cos I have no energy and I feel sorry for myself- yet all my friends have been great keeping in touch and supporting me and I know I am very lucky that I have such supportive friends. I lay awake thinking of when it started and about all these tests I've had, and I thought they haven't found any obstruction in the throat when I had the barium and the camera down my throat. I know they said I have mild esophogul delay but that is my chest not my throat. So I realised I must have built up such a fear of food because even if I am drinking a complan and I feel a tiny lump of powder that hasnt dissolved I spit it out!

I also feel more positive today because my burping has calmed down as I am trying bicarbonate of soda in water which seems to be working miracles! Which means I have been able to drink a bit more today as I dont burp after every mouthful!

I think it will take a while to get on top of this but I hope with the right help I can start to get back on track!

Thanks for all your support on here too!

Helen x

Hi Helen,

I had the throat thing but at the time i did not know it was related to anxiety, as i have problems swallowing tablets i swallow then have a drink i always thought i had tablet stuck in my thoat, it was not till i found this site that i realized it was a symptom, lol im not sure at the time if that would have made me better about it or not, it did just go away on its own after a while,

sorry to hear you had to postpone your trip to india, i bet that was hard,
    it was good to read how positive you sounded in your post, do hope you get everything else sorted out at doctors, and can put your mind at rest

take care xxx

kairen x

Ohhhh Helen, I read your posts and can completely relate to everything you're going through. It's been 9 months for me now and I'm another step closer to feeling better though I still find it difficult to speak a lot of the time! My throat starts to tighten and I start to feel anxious. One thing that really has helped me to cope with it is doubling the dose of medication I'm on. I have just started CBT as well so it's put me in good stead for getting through that.

Keep on posting here Helen and you'll be able to look back and see the progress you're making!

Mark x

Hi Mark

I like reading your posts because its nice to know that I am not alone! Even though I realise that it is me it doesnt make the eating any easier to eat, that is why I know I will need help.

I'd love to hear how you get on with CBT, I'll let you know if I manage to get my doc to refer me on Monday!

Take care

Helen x

hello helen, its your right to be able to get checked. demand it!!!!!! if he says no explain how you feel, otherwise it will just drag on. be assertive!!!!!!!! you can do anything, dont walk away worrying. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx good luck xxxxxxx

Thread Information