Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thr Real Truth about Seroxat(paroxetine)....

Thr Real Truth about Seroxat(paroxetine)....

The real truth is that SEROXAT is one of the most dangerous legal mind bending medications on the market today.

Paxil(also known as seroxat in Europe and Aropax in Australia) is a dangerous , mind altering drug .
    An anti-depressant of the SSRI class
    In some cases it can cause Suicide and Homicide
    Originally manufactured for the treatment of depression.
    It is now licenced for many disorders , from Post-traumatic stress to Panic attacks.
    There is damning evidence that it is an ineffective drug in the treatment of any condition

Some Paxil/Seroxat Facts

A World Health Organization report which ranked antidepressants in order of withdrawal problems found Seroxat was the hardest to come off.

The family of David Snell won a $6.4m payout from manufacturers GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) after Mr Snell was found to have murdered three members of his family, and himself, after taking the drug for just two days.

Dec. 9, 2004 — New documents uncovered by ABC News suggest GlaxoSmithKline, the maker of the popular antidepressant Paxil, failed to disclose important information about the possibility of an increased risk of suicidal behavior in some children taking the drug, as well as serious withdrawal symptoms when some patients stop taking Paxil.

The new documents obtained by the ABC News program "Primetime Live" have never before been made public. Earlier this year, the Food and Drug Administration ordered manufacturers to place a warning in bold print on antidepressants, alerting consumers that the drugs can cause suicidal tendencies in children and teenagers.

Source: Office of New York State Attorney General
    Published: August 27, 2004: GlaxoSmithKline last week agreed to pay $2.5 million to settle charges from the New York Attorneys General's office that it had concealed information about the safety and effectiveness of Paxil in treating children and adolescents with depression.

As part of the agreement, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) will become the first major drug manufacturer to publicly disclose information on clinical studies of its drugs, New York Attorneys General's office said in a statement.

"This settlement holds GSK to a new standard of disclosure about studies concerning its drugs, a standard that helps to ensure that doctors and patients have access to all scientifically sound information so doctors can prescribe appropriate medication for their patients," Spitzer said. "By agreeing to release both positive and negative studies about the safety and efficacy of its drugs, GSK has set an example for the entire pharmaceutical industry."

The Attorney General sued GSK in June alleging that the company withheld negative information about Paxil, a drug used to treat depression. Specifically, GSK conducted at least five studies on the use of Paxil in children and adolescents but only released one of these studies, which showed mixed results on efficacy, Spitzer said. The lawsuit alleged that the company suppressed the negative results of the other studies, which failed to demonstrate that Paxil is effective and which suggested a possible increased risk of suicidal thinking and acts in certain individuals. The suit further alleged that GSK failed to disclose this information in "Medical Information Letters" that it sent to physicians.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005
    Maker of antidepressant drugs faces $250m lawsuit from New York Attorney General: the drugs cause adolescents to commit suicide, says claim
    Antidepressant drug maker GlaxoSmithKline is facing legal charges that its drug (Seroxat) is dangerous and causes adolescents to commit suicide. The charges come from New York state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer who also claims the company hid the results of drug trials that proved the drugs were dangerous. Similar charges may be filed soon in the UK, where a patient support group for users of the GSK drug says that the drug causes people to become aggressive or suicidal. All this is being reported in The Independent from the UK.

I was on seroxat for three months, 7 years ago. For me, it made me very numb, unable to feel anything and I wouldn't recommend it.

It has coloured my opinions of anti depressants. I have always seen them as papering over the cracks although my counsellor did say yesterday that they can just be that helping hand you need. Anyway, I am mulling that over at the moment.

As far as Seroxat goes, what I find more alarming is the ease in which it is prescribed, and the lack of monitoring once it has been given out to people who are at their most vulnerable.

Redking

I don't think its escaped anyones attention these last few years that Seroxat has clearly got some issues.

I would like to balance this by pointing out that there are substantially more people whom have been helped by Seroxat and have had no problems with it at all.

Many people cite it as being their life saver so its not all bad news at all and whilst on a steady dose there is hardly any risk with it at all.

The issues are mainly when settling onto it, changing dose or when coming off it. This is thought to be due to the length of its half life - the amount of time it takes the body to clear the drug out of its systems. Seroxat has a short half life so the levels of drug in the blood rises and falls dramatically and as it is a mood altering drug this does have an effect.

Please see our medication page for more information on SSRI withdrawal syndrome

Medication

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Meg

You raised some good points and I'm aware of how it is very easy to become emotive and biased in opinions of Seroxat.

There are undeniably people who have success with the drug and I wouldn't want to scare anyone into thinking that it is a bad thing.

My personal account is that for me, it did have a relative positive effect in the sense that it stopped me feeling anxious and stressed, but on the flipside, it also blocked out my other emotions and I became very numb, unable to feel sad, or happy.

When my mood changed, which I can attribute to the drug, I did become slightly manic, something which I had never felt before or since.

I guess it depends on your personal situation and on reflection, the drug did calm me down and enable me to leave my bed in the morning. But on the negative side, in the short term it blocked out all of my feelings, and within a couple of months of taking it, I experienced mood swings.

I would say to think carefully about dosage and how you come off it, and work with therapy alongside it. I made the mistake of taking it, stop taking it and thinking "problem fixed".

It is a mood altering drug - of that there is no doubt and there is also no doubt that there are thousands of people who have had difficulties, but there are also thousands of people who have come through that experience just fine without any lasting problems.

I'd like to keep both sides of the story in our thoughts as you are right its easy to get extremely passionate about something and lose sight that there may be differing views and as we often remind ourselves , those who have done well and without any issues do not feel the need to shout about it as loudly.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the with therapy and expectations bit.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

For me personally seroxat was best the medication i ever took and coming off it wasnt that bad,i had to come off citalopram at one point as well and it wasnt any harder.
    mel xx

melanie

For me personally I found them very good. I was on them for about a year and didn't have any problem with them. However, Coming off them wasn't that easy for me as I got withdrawals like shaking, crying at the slightest thing, mood swings and generally felt low but it only lasted a few weeks.

I was on paxil for 7 years and it was the only time I felt normal!!!! i was taken off because of weight gain. i had no trouble with that either.

Good, I'm pleased that some people have not had a bad experience with Seroxat but it cannot be denied that the drug is a nightmare.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/2310197.stm

http://www.seroxatusergroup.org.uk/

http://www.mind.org.uk/Information/Seroxat.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/3710528.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ma/3677792.stm

The medical profession and the drug companies will have to answer their accusers one day, and that day is approaching fast. This website gives you a voice, all be it a small one.

http://www.yellowcard.gov.uk/

--
    Blue -
    "Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

I was on Seroxat for six months and i'm sure it pulled me out of a deep dark hole I was in at the time.

Coming of I just experienced alot of dizziness but thats all.

Pip's X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information