Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why wont my cough go away?

Why wont my cough go away?

About three weeks ago I caught a virus off my dad. It started as a sore throat and within a day turned into tonsilitis. I cleared the tonsilitis but by this time it had turned into conjunctivitis and a sinus infection. The constant mucus down my throat led to it lying on my chest, causing a chest infection and me to lose my voice. It caused me to cough to get the mucus off my chest repeatedly, causing my throat to dry out at night. The dry throat caused ulcers in my throat that tickled when they got dried out from sleeping, making me cough more and in doing so, aggrevated my ulcers in the process.. Almost all symptoms are now gone as I have been on antibiotics for almost a week and only have a day left. I am worried because i can feel a weird kinds buzzing sensation below my left rib and its been there now for about a month. Would antibiotics kill a cough or just kill the bacteria causing the infections? Now Im worried I could either have lung cancer because I have a weird buzzing sensation when I breath in, though it may be too low to be my lungs, im not really sure how low your lungs go in relation to your rib cage. Im too scared to look up lung cancer symptoms as it will start me panicking. I did smoke, but I quit last November and havent touched it since. I wasnt a heavy smoker but enough to scare the living daylights out of me.... now I freaking about swine flu... even though ive had no contact with anyone who has been to mexico. Whats with the buzzing? why am i still coughing? im scared. Im fine otherwise physically :( Anyone give me reassurance of experienced anything similar? I dont want my health anxiety to flare up again so please be careful not to scare me unduly x

Re: Why wont my cough go away?

sounds like the same tihng thats been going around for weeks, ive had a cough and cold for over 3 weeks now and no sign of letting up, i really dont think its cancer you have ,its where youve been coughing so much its def not swine flu youve had it to long for it to be that, even though our minds go in overdrive i must admit mine did when i first read about it cos ive been poorly for so long hope you feel better soon
    amanda

i've had this also - if you have access to Mucinex D (or some UK equivalent) - my doc said it's the only med that attacks the problem rather than just the symptoms. it cleared my congestion right up. i'm not 100% but i'm better. look into it!
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi

Some coughs can last for weeks and even months.

but nobody else has experienced a weird vibration feeling in their chest? like a bee trapped in my ribcage...

I deal with this all the time in my job i'm a home carer, was a health care assistant for many years, alot of the times it takes more than one lot of antibiotic to clear up a chest infection, just go back the docs hun, he will be able to tell you there and then whether you still have infection or whether its still built up mucus that has built up on your chest.

di xx

I have had my virus and cough for 5 weeks!!!! Have been to the doctors and they said nothing to worry about. I thought my cough would have gone by now but no signs of that yet! x

i get the vibrating thing but i don't think it's from my cough, it's anxiety
    I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the Stern Fact, the Sad Self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

A cough can last like 6 or 7 weeks. Can be allergies also..

ive had this cough/viris thing ...like yourself been left with the cough went to docs a week ago chest and lungs clear but was told cough can last upto 6 weeks .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information