Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: swallowing difficulties associated with panic?

swallowing difficulties associated with panic?

Anyone had swallowing fears, difficulties in association with panic attacks? This a new symptom for me. I have had dx panic attacks since age 16, but found a real wonderful therapy which stopped, not just curbed but stopped completely, the uncomfortable attacks for many many years...a yoga/breathing exercise method. My attacks were signaled by breathing related issues which lead to fears of going to large crowded places such as malls...I can pretty well recognize now...and while I still have a distain for malls, can and have tolerate now for years. Of late, I had this really scary thing for me arise....At a restaurant this last summer, I suddenly felt as if I could not swallow!! (even saliva) and it scared me to death. Since, I have developed quite an aversion to eating out in public, and don't even wish to go with my family back to same restaurant. Even had full blown unable to swallow fear in car on way back home from there, and scared to tell my family (embarassed, more like it, I think)
    CAN THIS BE a symptom of panic? Anyone else experience it?
    I just read that globus hyster. can even be seen very commonly in ladies approaching the change of life...interesting. Perhaps hormonal/physical changes can bring about new panic symptoms for some who are a bit sensitive to such things?
    I teach middle school (called junior high school in the states). Maybe this is it LOL LOL.
    Best...and seriously...looking for any insight, similar experiences, what has helped you, etc....best, Taf/USA

Hi Taf and welcome, I think you will find you are not alone in this area, someone will be along soon and show you the links, maybe Meg or Nic,Then you will probably be reassured, so glad you sound to be doing ok otherwise, Love Alexis,xx

Hi Taf

WELCOME TO THE SITE,
    There are lots of nice people here who will help and
    support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something,
    learn as much about it as you can.
    Knowledge conquers fear.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! From the bottom of my heart and throat!!! LOL
    Wow...this is a common symptom. I also just learned from a colleague that IBS and GERD, both of which I have had since childhood, and are exacerbated by stressors, have extreme periods of swallowing difficulty due to smooth muscle type spasms, etc. Both very harmless but annoying.....I suspected it was just a panic attack with a different mask on when it has happened, but the human mind is quite clever...when it does not get your attention with one symptom, I believe the symptom in my case actually morphs...til I am elicited to join in on a full blown panic attack...LOL
    Anyway, in thoughtfully analyzing this situation after your kind words and MUCH NEEDED REASSURANCE that this whole swallowing thing is part of the anxiety beast, I am coming up with the following common denominators: 1. My mum died 2 years ago. I am prolly stiffling the grief and pain, and it is now manifesting as "I can't swallow, I am drowing even in my own saliva" as I try to unconsciously "swallow" and push down the grief to be stoic for my own kiddies...devastated about losing their grammy. 2. Just started a new job career-left reg. ed to teach severe and profound special ed...Love it, but perhaps I am being perfectionistic and hard on self...a down fall of my annoyingly perfectionistic personality type..LOL
    Well, again, THANKS. Hope you don't mind if I keep in touch. This support has really helped me.
    xxo and hugs to all, Taf/USA

Hey Taf,

I get the same thing. When I had my very first panic attack /age 11/, I was at home, drinking orange juice. Suddenly, something strange happened - the juice was in my mouth, and I couldn't swallow it. My throat didn't feel tight, it was just that for some reason, my swallowing reflex didn't want to work. I freaked out. I still get that sometimes when I'm anxious, it's one of my main symptoms. I feel like my swollowing reflex is not working, and I need to swallow consciously, I tend to overswallow, sometimes to the point where my throat hurts, my mouth gets all dry, I feel like I'm going to choke, etc. I also have a fear of drinking/eating in front of people and in public places. Very uncomfortable, but it's definitely anxiety related.

Welcome aboard Taf!!

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Thanks! That 100% describes my symptom to a T....I just suddenly felt like I could not swallow...and not to sound gross...thought the saliva was just going to overflow! Not a lump in my throat at all...just felt like suddenly, I felt my swallowing became uncoordinated, and I could not do so. This set off a viscious fear cycle, so I thought I would embarass myself in public and actually drool... Jeepers...not pleasant...so in turn became a full blown panic attack.
    Good thing you shared your experiences with me....You have ALL HELPED ME A LOT. I feel better just knowing that this can come on with anxiety.
    My hubby panicked a bit...said, You should go to ER, get scans, etc. Since I had it in different form of breathing/respiratory/sweaty palms/feeling of impending doom/ wayyyyy unpleasant racing heart beat kind of panic attacks years ago, I just had a deep down feeling that this new symptom is/was somehow connected to my panic attack history...so just knowing you all have been there has helped so much. I mentioned my hypothesis to hubby in that if it was physiological/structural/neurological, that there would be other symptoms, through the night symptoms, constant symptoms, not associated with life changes such as death of mom, career change, child leaving grade school primary and always near me (poor kiddolllLOL LOL) and now at separate across town high school....I may then go the awful doctor route (immediate upper GI's blah blah blah)..
    GOOD NEWS TO REPORT:
    My son just came in here with...ok throat suffers can relate...BEEF JERKY and said "Try this mom...it is really good" Well, folks, those of you wtih the swallowing thing can relate surely...this beef jerky looked like a hard mountainous stone...."I can't swallow this....and on top of it, I might embarass myself in front of my own kiddie and drool and choke right here....BUT>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>I somehow swallowed it and such with EASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone said above in their tagline that knowledge is power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen. Can you believe I actually swallowed it...This is a small step, but a huge step for me....I know because of my respiratory experiences with panic that this might wax and wane, but just knowing that others have the oral/swallowing symptoms will give me a HUGE tool in my fighting arsenal to control these panic attacks....like a computer being reprogrammed which occasionally gets "bugs and viruses", but still runs quite fine upon reprogramming.
    Hugs to all and a big huge thanks!!!!!!!!!! Keep in touch as I will.....Bless you for this most important support group!!!!!!!!! Taf

Hi taf, well done, I think once you realise you are not alone it helps tremendously. please do sstay in touch it is great for us all to support each other, love Alexis,xx

Hi Taf and welcome aboard.

So glad this site is give you some comfort.

Keep coming on here!

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information