Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A visit to the Doctors

A visit to the Doctors

I haven't been here that long, but since joining this has been my favourite thread - and one I never thought I would post on!

In that time, I have been reading all the positive threads, success stories and experiences, bought self-help books and cds and met up with some of you. I think it is a combination of those things that made me feel able to go to the doctors today. I have emetophobia and so haven't been to the doctors for years - it's my worst nightmare. For the last two weeks I have had an awful throat and this morning I decided I needed to JFDI!

So I made an appointment.. heart pounding.. and actually went!

Anyway, the dr was really nice (had never seen her before) and I ended up telling her about my phobia - she was wondering why I was shaking like a leaf if I just had a bad throat lol. I am still in shock - apart from some of you on here she was the first person I have ever told face to face. She was so nice and we talked about what I had been doing lately to help myself. After talking for about ten minutes (with a room of ppl waiting!!) she said I should continue with it all for now (as I am making progress) and come back if I feel I need some extra help.

I can't believe it.. I can't believe I told someone AND they didn't laugh at me. Anyway, so now I am feeling quite chuft with myself (even though I have laryngitis - which she could give me nothing for ironically!) and know now that this really is the beginning of getting over it.

This has ended up quite long so I won't bore you with the reasons why I think I am making progress and even though I know I have a VERY long way to go at least I am getting somewhere.

Thanks for listening!

Tam x

Tam...

Many many many congratulations !!

One step, then the next ... You stand steady and when you're ready move the next foot again.

Oh and do feel free please to ' bore us' with the getting better details.

Just as you read all the posts previously and derived hope from them there will be someone in the future who needs to read yours to give them hope and inspiration.

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Well done Tam!!

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

Congratulations Tam! Very well done!

--- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

Well done Tam. Great progress.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

well done tammy

keep it up

all the best

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just fiding it thats the hard part

Well done Tammy, a big step into the tunnel that has the light at the end of it, keep going hun.
    Take care
    Trac xx

its "just a thought"

Well done Tam! That is brilliant progress!! No wonder you are chuffed with yourselves - you flamin deserve to be!

This site is great isn't it!

"True acceptance means 'facing and relaxing' - it is submission" (Claire Weekes)

Great news Tam!!

"If life were simple, word would have got around"

Aww thanks everyone!! And yes, a big part of it is down to this site and everyone on it.

On Friday a child complained of feeling ill. I knew she had been off the day before with a sickness bug but rather than send her out with a bowl (which I have done many, many times) I got her some water and told her to come and sit by me. My anxiety was sky high, heart was pounding, hands shaking and clammy and I thought my head would explode with all the thoughts.

I remembered some of the experiences others have been through, some wise words from Claire Weekes (and you Meg!) and some breathing exercises I have been doing and managed to stay there. A month ago I would have been outta there!

I almost can't believe I have spent my whole life this way and it has all been down to me. It's almost like I chose not to think the thoughts I normally think and replaced them with some positive thoughts and I was fine. When I had previously read posts like this, I was like 'whatever!, as though that would work' but it genuinly does!

It was still a huge relief when the child wasn't actually ill, not sure if I'm quite ready to cope with that yet, but it has shown me that 9 times out of 10 its going to be fine. And all those poor children I have let down in the past will hopefully be able to rely on me in the future.

Anyway, thanks again for all your support, it really means a lot!!

Tam x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information