Thread: Panic attacks during sleep.

Panic attacks during sleep.

Hi my name is Tim, I originaly suffered from panic attacks 8 years ago shortly after my dad died. Then in october of last year they returned! The first was fairly voilent and I was taken to hospital. I have sufferd from the problem ever since, the thing is I keep getting attacks at night when Im asleep and this in turn is making me bad during the day is there anything I can do to control these night attacks?

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim!
    Welcome to this site! We are glad you found us!!
    I suffered the night time attacks too. I would wake from a sound sleep shaking and sweating and unable to calm down. I got to the point where I could only sleep about an hour every night if I was lucky! It was terrifying!! This really interferes with your life when you can't even sleep. Do you take any medications?
    I am not experiencing those attacks any longer. I take meds.
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with this! Feel free to chat in the chat room or PM if you need help!

"Honey, if ya ain't feelin' the bumps in the road, ya ain't goin' nowhere!" (A wise Georgia Granny's take on living life to the fullest! LOL!)

Hi Tim

Welcome to the site and the forums you will find a lot of people on here that will be able to help you and give you some very good advice - i used to suffer bedtime attacks and also get woken by them in hot sweats then all of a sudden they went i mainly suffer them during the day but it really does make me feel bad all day afterwards.

all the best

darren

There is light at the end of the tunnel its just fiding it thats the hard part

Hi Tim

Welcome to the forum. I also wake with these attacks at times and it is unsettling. When this happens I do some relaxation using a relaxation CD and/or try some distraction for a while until I feel able to sleep again. Controlling breathing with the 7/11 breathing technique also helps - breathe in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11. It doesn't matter if you can't manage 7 and 11, just make sure the out breath is longer than the in breath.

Have you had any help with the anxiety and panic at all?

You might like to have a read of the First Steps information as a place to start.

I hope we can help you get past this again. You have done it before and can do so again.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

Tim,

Have you had nightmares along side these at all ?

Your bedtime routine can be quite instrumental in setting the scene for how the night goes sometimes.

Nothing like a panic attack at 3:30 am
    Sudden nighttime attacks
    Waking Up With A Panic Attack In The Night
    Bad Morning !!!!!!!!!!!

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for replying, its a comfort to know that Im not the only one who get these attacks during the night. at the moment Im not taking any medication for panic and up untill recently I seemed to to be ok, I do have relaxation tapes and they do seem to help.

Thanks again Tim

Thread Information