View Poll Results: What Med Has Worked Best For You?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prozac/Fluoxetine

4 22.22%
  • Lexapro/Escitalopram

2 11.11%
  • Propranolol

2 11.11%
  • Citalopram

1 5.56%
  • Effexor/Venlafaxine

0 0%
  • Other (please state)

9 50.00%

Thread: advice on the best med

advice on the best med

im looking at trying a new med and id like to know which have worked best for people

and yes i know everyone reacts differently, but its interesting to know =]

-add on after nicole replied, i generally mean for anxiety and panic, and if its a herbal medicine write in a comment which it is x
    Last edited by bumble18; 02-09-09 at 01:13.

Re: advice on the best med

It depends what for?

I had prozac and it was good for depression but that wasn't my problem - panic attacks were and it never touched them!

Also you need to add natural remedies too.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I've used Cipralex in the past and it really helped me, but this time when tried it got awful side effects so doc gave me Sertraline (for panic attacks and anxiety), on day 5 so far - feeling fine half the day on it but I'm up and down.

Been on Prozac for 5 years, does not seem to be working anymore even though the dose has been doubled, gonna start on Sertraline tomorrow. Will see how I get on x

I used to be on venlafaxine for anxiety and depression. It was brilliant and I was stable for several years. The withdrawal effects of coming off them however were horrendous. As a result I have been given prozac this time round. It took a few weeks for it to calm my anxiety -it got worse before better but I now have more good days than bad. :-)
    Last edited by Mich1111; 02-09-09 at 17:13. Reason: spelling

Over the last year Ive been on a few medications. Citalopram worked for me for 6 months, but it stopped working for me. Ive since tried martazapine which deffo helped my lack of sleep, but gave me major mood swings and rage - which wasnt nice for my wife.

Ive justs started a new med called Duloxetine about a week ago which i was a bit concerned about taking since most peoples reaction was having a lowered sex drive, but mine hasnt been affected - which im sure my wife is happy about - although I am having trouble with sleeping again... BUT, I havnt had any mood swings as of yet so im just gonna keep up with it and see how it goes.

hope this has kinda helped you a little bit

saphire_laila

ive had depression for the last 3 and half years, citalopram helped a bit but after being on them for a year or two i had made no progress, then i was put venlafaxine which didnt help at all and made me ill having panic attacks alot more, then i got put on fluoxetine which has help alot although the side effects are quite serious, i get suicidal which i only get being on them, but while taking all these i took propranalol along side with help with my panic attacks, which i dont have anymore. but now im being taking off fluoxetine to be put on some other med [see thread below =] ]

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    It depends what for?

I had prozac and it was good for depression but that wasn't my problem - panic attacks were and it never touched them!

Also you need to add natural remedies too.
    agreed. If you can edit your pole I would remove propranolol and stick with all AD's (including herbal).
    Last edited by carlos678; 04-09-09 at 01:23.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Don't think there's a "best med" unfortunately. Everyone has an individual brain chemistry and l think it's hit and miss finding one that agrees with you and helps your condition.

Lots of clinical trials funded by the drug's manufacturer claim efficacy over other ones (hmmm...), but a recent "independent" study found that sertraline, escitalopram (cipralex), venlafaxine and mirtazapine were the most effective for depression (published 2009).

I personally wouldn't take much notice though because I still think it's a trial and error process. Also because of tolerance there's no doubt that in time the drug will lose some or all of its effectiveness.

I've been told that herbal medicines don't lose their effectiveness but have no experience...

I dont think anyone on here is qualified to be able to give you advice on a specific med for your condition. It could even be dangerous. Only your GP or psychiatrist should be advising you on your meds. I can tell you about my experiences on different anti depressants but I wouldn't dare advise you on a particular med and say that is the one. I have had severe side effects from different meds. I hope you and your doctors find the right med for you.

Thread Information