Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety + Panic + Stress + Dizziness + some relief

Anxiety + Panic + Stress + Dizziness + some relief

Hi there. I am also new here and very relieved to have found the site. I have, in the last 2 years suffered through some extremely stressful situations, with the last six months including: having a new baby, having my husband move overseas 2 weeks before she was born, packing up my household and life in South Africa all by myself and moved countries, leaving behind all I know and love. Now, having been here 2 months we find that my husband has been retrenched.

I thought I was doing pretty well and coping remarkably - friends and family remarked on this. But, I guess everyone has their breaking point and I have hit mine.

I am so grateful to have found this site, which I happened upon when searching for an explanation for my constant dizzy spells (which of course I have been stressing about being a brain tumour - how relieved to see that this is a common theme). I have also starting having some severe panic attacks. Dizziness, palpitations, tight chest, anxious etc, Luckily (!?) I was with a visiting friend from home when I had one on a lovely walk in the park. She immediately insisted that go to the doctor, which I did.

Fortunately, the doc was able to witness the attack first hand and we agreed that I would go onto medication. I am now on Cipramil, for the last 3 weeks, but have yet to feel the effects. I am still getting dizzy spells - last night one culminated into a panic attack, but fortunately i had the medication to get through it.

This site has been a godsend to me. To know that my symptoms are common and others have gotten through them is a huge relief - especially since I am in a new country with no support.

I would be interested to know if others symptoms have also lasted for weeks.

Regards
    Leigh

Hello Leigh!

First - Welcome to the site! You are going to meet some of the most wonderful, strong people imaginable here. The folks here are all survivors of that despicable creature, the Panic Attack Monster. Of course, none of us are free of him - the PA monster can be incessant, and if he finds a small crack in our defenses, he tries to make our lives miserable.

Luckily, when PA strikes, we have this site and all of the great people here to help us thru the rough times. About two years ago, I went thru a series of panic attacks where I lost 30 pounds in a month, about drove my GP crazy (he is really a great guy, as well as a wonderful doctor), and generally felt I was going mad. The folks on this site, in some cases, literally saved my life when things were really rough, and for that, I am forever grateful. You will see Meg, whom I have never met personally, but who is without a doubt my angel, Nic, who devotes so much personal time and resources to this site...

And you could go on - just scroll down the members list. All have contributed in their own way. I don't get on the site near as much as I'd like, anymore, due to a crazy work schedule and other major commitments - but I try to help when I can, and hope that, though I'm a notorious rambler with words, perhaps occasionally my posts may help even just one person. That is what this site is all about. Helping one another.

I couldn't help but smile as I read your post. an explanation for my constant dizzy spells (which of course I have been stressing about being a brain tumour Wow, I've been there. As I said, I have a GP who understands, and has helped me thru what I thought were brain tumors, heart attacks, cancer, strokes, nerve disease, and a host of other terrible maladys, - all induced by anxiety and stress.

Wow, the stress you are under is pretty awesome, but it looked like you were coping pretty well. As we all know, and you found out, unfortunately we all have a point where the teakettle eventually boils over.

Do the symptoms last for weeks? Panic Attacks or the physcial ones?

Well, unfortunately, in the beginning, they can, which is what makes them so terrible! We are all different, but for me, the lenghty build up of terrible stress over a period of time, coupled with an untimely bout with the flu, put me into a terrible state, and caused the PA monster to just about eat me alive for a couple of months! It was horrible, but, looking back, it is amazing the things I learned.

First, unless you find and deal with what is causing your stress, you won't get better. Luckily for you, it seems that you have pretty much found that, so that is a big step!!

Second, you have to be strong, and PATIENT!!! We all want these feelings to go away and never come back, but, especially for those of us who have had massive and lengthy episodes, we have had to learn to take the little, seeming insignificant victories one at a time, until suddenly, our heads finally pop out of the clouds, and we have the PA monster on the run! Once he's been there, he's always lurking around, but by taking care of ourselves and, by using the tools and tips we learn over time, to not allow ourselves to get into the state that caused the stress and anxiety. If we do that, we can usually keep him at bay!

Third - How wonderfully strong and resilient the human mind and body is. Go thru these posts. All of us have our ups and downs, but in spite of that, we go on, fighting the PA monster every step of the way. We revel in the good days, cry on the bad - but we never give up, mainly because those here on the site won't let us! That's what makes this such a wonderful community.

Well, as usual, I've rambled, and some of the more literatry and intelligent folks here could have said what I said in about two paragraphs! But, that's okay! I do hope that what I've said has made sense, - But, believe me, if it hasn't there will be others here who will!

Take care, keep in touch, and let us know

Hi Leigh

Welcome to the site.

Yes this site is a god send it has helped me heaps. You will find lots of good advice and many new friends here.

Kazo xxx

Hi Leigh,

I laughed with relief when I found this site.

A big welcome to you.

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Thanks so much to all. I will absolutely be using this site as I have already found great comfort in knowing that I am not alone in my experience.

I am hoping that the meds will kick in soon - any ideas on how long?

hi leigh
    im glad you found this website it truly is fab
    think my meds took approx 3 weeks last year however you may want to look at other techniques to help along side tablets. reading the forum will give you ideas and all books by Clare Weekes will help you understand the problems,that was the key for me -understanding. good luck you are now on your road to recovery
    take care
    Danielle

Hi Leigh,

welcome and well done for finding this site so early on.

I will keep my post brief. The first thig that I had was dizziness and the it was the last thing to go. Still get the odd bit here and there but before it was constant. Got all the other symptoms as well.
    Mine started a year ago exactly. Felt back to "normal" after about 9 months with the help of people on here.

You can get through it and make a full recovery.

Educate yourself as much as possible. I'm also a massive Claire Weekes fan. Her "Self Help For Your Nerves" was a god send before I found this place. (And I think she was an Aussie as well!). You can't go wrong with any of her stuff.

All the best,
    Trev

hello leigh

welcome here, this sites amazing.

i have had symptoms for a long tim, im on the same med as you, what dosage are you on??? they have worked great, took a while to kick in though. all you gotta remember is its not perminant and you will get over this. good luck and feel free to pm me anytime.

hey a fellow south african!!

making the change to move all the way over here would have caused you a lot of stress.

Thats like me, i had a build up of stress and i just "popped" and i've been fighting the panics for the past 2 and 1/2 weeks now. What i mean to say is it all gets better!! i promise. I seem to be coming right, slowly but surely (you've got to belive in yourself, easier said than done i know, i struggle to do it).

One positive thing thats come out of it is i've started doing Yoga twice a week. I can't say that i've seen any immediate benefits of it, but i think that takes time. Its also made me want to exercise a bit more, so currently lookng for a gym to go to.

Don't let it stop you from living your life.

Thanks again to you all for your support. And D, you hit the nail on the head. I think I totally underestimated the trauma of the move. I think I held it all together for so long - maybe because of the baby - but suddenly its all just gone pear-shaped.

Its at times like this that you want the familiarity of your own doctor, and the comfort of your home and friends & family. I have neither.

I also left behind a very amazing therapist who helped me to handle my stresses and issues for 2 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information