Thread: prescribed escitalopram

prescribed escitalopram

Hello everyone
    First of all, it is nice to find these forums and realise that you are not suffering alone. Although at the same time it is sad to realise that so many people suffer from social anxiety. I have always been quite an anxious person, coupled with being a perfectionist and driven, you can see how this is a recipe for disaster! I have quite a demanding job, which I enjoy, but hate the constant presentations, team work etc because of my crippling anxiety. My Dad died two years ago. He was diagnosed with cancer and six months later passed away. I completely cut myself off from everyone, including my family after he died. I felt like I didn't want to be around anyone. My social anxiety has got increasingly worse over the past year or so to the point that it has become exhausting leading (or at least trying) to lead a normal life. I have tried propanolol but that made my hair fall out. Three weeks ago the dr prescribed me diazepam, which hasn't really helped. Still having crippling anxiety attacks before I have to speak etc. So today have been back to the Drs and he has tried me on escitalopram. I don't know much about it, other than what I have read on the internet. So any advice would be appreciated. Has anyone taken it for anxiety provoking situations, such as giving presentations etc - and has it helped?

Re: prescribed escitalopram

Hi Jean,

I was prescribed Cipralex 5 weeks ago for extreme Anxiety which I had been battling for 4 months. For the first few weeks it didn't seem to help, and in fact my anxiety got a little worse. But, the past two weeks have been bliss in comparison. Whilst I still have the situations contributing to my anxiety to deal with, the Anxiety has almost gone completely.
    I am on 10mg by the way.
    All I can add is good luck and stick with it to give it a real chance.

Hi jean32

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Thanks Milo. I have the prescription here and still debating what to do. I have read some real horror stories and worry about the side effects and the possibility of still feeling like I want to run away just before I have to speak to a group of people. I suppose I need to give it a go and see what happens. I can't carry on as I am, so anything would be better than this. I am off work for a week, so it's probably good to start them off now. Did you notice that it stopped your heart racing before anxious situations? I some times feel like i'm about to pass out!

dear Jean 32,
    I know the drug as Lexapro (I'm sure it's the same) and it's very very good, but not nearly as good as you are otherwise you would not be giving all these presentations.
    Don't build it up out of all proportions -- let the others worry about how they are going to follow your wonderful presentation. Turn the problem upside down and most of all don't become "result orientated" by that I mean worrying in advance about the outcome. There is no such thing in life as failing. It is just a stupid meaningless word that has no bearing at all on your own standards. Just by doing the presentation makes you a resounding success in my books. Please also have a look at the thread I put up a couple of days ago on F.E.A.R. and tell me what you think. I'm not even going to bother to wish you luck because I know you will receive a standing ovation. Just picture that in your mind and get ready to say thank you to all the well wishers on witnessing one of the greatest presentations they've ever seen.

A mighty OAK tree is just an Acorn that stood its ground.
    BArry

Hi Jean,

It did stop my heart from racing once it took hold and started working.

Great advice Barry - its all about perspective and attitude and how we choose to respond - easier said than done I know, but Jean, once done the reward is great and all yours.

Lexapro and Cipralex are the same drug.

Hi Barrywin
    Thank you for your lovely comments. Very similar to what my mum is constantly telling me. I have just read your thread on fear - all good stuff - I have just completed my phd in coaching and organisational psychology - what you describe sounds a bit like NLP. You would think with all my knowledge of this stuff I would be able to handle it better, but the theory doesn't translate into practice for me, unfortunately. I will try it again. I've realised that fighting anxiety is about trying a multitude of things, not one quick fix, but a period of not feeling crippled by it would be very nice - very nice indeed!

Sometimes in life we have to give talks, speeches or presentations and unless we do it on a regular basis it is only natural that we should feel un --ease as we are out of our comfort zone. All our senses become honed to the extreme and we feel everyone is watching our every move or just waiting for us to make a mistake. This not us being OVERLY ANXIOUS -- this is perfectly normal and it's a good thing that we should feel slightly nervous. Try to turn the nervousness into a more comfy feeling of anticipation and excitement and also realize it is a very small part of our entire time on this planet. All we can do is prepare our speech, presentation to the best of our ability, possibly do a couple of practice runs in front of family or friends and then LET THEM HAVE IT AND MILK THE APPLAUSE. I as stated in my F.E.A.R. thread used to play golf at a high level and before stepping onto the first tee and waiting for my name to be announced and then the following deathly hush as I prepared to tee off would use my "ANCHOR" which I had practiced thousands of times in my minds eye whereby just by squeezing my thumb and forefinger together it would remind me of all the brilliant shots I had hit in the past under pressure situations and put me in a sort of automatic mode. This I'm sure would work for presentations/speeches as well.
    Keep visualizing success over and over again in your mind and then give yourself an "anchor" thumb/forefinger squeeze or whatever comes to mind. Hope this helps.
    best wishes,
    Barry

I will certainly try that. You are 100% right re: it only being a small time out of our life and I do try to think that. I think I need to think more positively about my perfomances and not over concentrate on what I perceive to be the negatives. Good at talking the talk, but not walking the walk!

Thread Information