Thread: Palpitations

Palpitations

Hey guys.

The past few days i've been feeling slightly out of breath, it usually begins in early evening or when i go to bed, and i've also been getting palpitations. It wasn't really bothering me until tonight when i was sitting here at the computer and had a really bad palpitation. It just felt as though my heart stopped and then started again, and in between for a split second it felt as though i couldn't breath. I got up and felt really dizzy and so had a glass of water and sat down on the floor against the wall to try and calm myself down. Then when i stood up i got a slight pain on the left side of my chest. I've calmed down a bit now and the pain has gone away, but i'm still really worried its something serious. My heart BPM is 89 at the moment. Is this normal? (given i am slightly wound up) Thanks.

Yes its fine.

Palpitations

Meg
    www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
    How big is your gallery ?

thanks meg That's made me feel a lot better!

Hi Ross,

Hope you start to feel more positive soon and the site will help provide answers you're looking for, as it has done for me.

Good luck

Elly

I've had really bad palps the last couple of weeks due to a stressful incident. It's caused by shallow breathing but can be so bad (especially at night) that you actually convince yourself you're going to have a heart attack:(

You will come across lots of advice about breathing techniques etc and I've started taking Kalms (herbal remedy) and finding them really good for settling me down. They also make me nice and sleepy at night!

You're definitely not alone with this Ross and it is a horrible symptom but one we can control.

Take care

Jem xxx

'Recovery lies in the places and experiences you fear'

hey Ross,

I had exactly the same symptoms about a year ago. Was suffering stress from work and home. Palps became really bad in the evening. It seemed that my heart was starting to beat irregularly and it scared the s**t out of me, which, in turn, caused more stress and the palps seemed to be more pronounced. Ad infinitum.

I ended up going to A&E and had a heart trace done. Obviously the results came back absolutely normal. The doctor confirmed what the GP had said that it was due to stress.

My wife (who is an angel for putting up with me!!) convinced me to try and turn my mind away from constantly thinking about the palps to see what happened. Well, I didnt have a heart attack suddenly, or stop breathing, infact, my mind slowly (over the course of a few months) began to forget about my heart and the palps eventually ebbed away. Haven't had any since.

Hope you feel better soon mate.

Dan

Hi Ross,
    Totally know where you are coming from. I've been suffering from panic for over a year and i never had palpitations until about an hour ago. It was the scariest thing in the world - i was sitting there eating some fruit when suddenly it felt like my heart stopped and i couldn't breathe and then my heart started really really thumping.
    I felt like i was having some kind of heart attack but i think that after reading all the posts on here, it seems quite normal.
    I think we will both be fine.
    Hope you are feeling better
    Henri x

Hi Ross

I get them too and ectopic heartbeats there are lots of us on here with the same problem so you are not on your own with this.

linda x

Thread Information