Thread: Promazine

Promazine

I've just been prescribed Promazine to help me sleep. I would be interested to know if anyone else has any experience of it that they would like to share.
    My tablets came in a bottle with no leaflet, so the only information I have on it has been gleaned from t'web.
    I am currently taking Citalopram, Propranolol and Buscopan. I am off sick from work with anxiety and work-related stress.
    I'm a bit concerned because the only info I could find after a (admittedly half-hearted) search was that it is an anti-psychotic used to treat schizophrenia.

Does anyone else use it purely to help them sleep?

Thanks in advance.

Smile Re: Promazine

Hi Angie

I have no experience with this drug but I did find out that about 20 percent of people taking antipsychotic / neuroleptic drugs for more than one year will be affected by tardive dyskinesia (involuntary movement of muscles). I would avoid using this long term and would probably consider atarax / vistaril (please research this non-addictive, well-tolerated antihistamine used for the treatment of anxiety) as a sleep aid before going down this route. I am on Citalopram 20mg for anxiety and panic attacks.

Best of luck

Rich

Re: Promazine

i was given promazine tablets 25mg a couple of months ago but iam not good taking tablets so i have been given promazine medicine now i going to start taking it i don't know any one who has had it to know if it works

my doctor wont prescribe ataraz/vistaril, neither wil lhe say why.

Quote Originally Posted by Danath View Post
    my doctor wont prescribe ataraz/vistaril, neither wil lhe say why.
    Hi Danath

Sorry to hear that, it worked great for me and my doc didn't hesitate to prescribe it, go figure.

All the best

Rich

im on promazine 100 mg a day i use it as amood stabliser and sleep problems i save l my mine up for night i do find it helps but its not along term alusthion as t can wear of

Thanks for the response, guys.
    I wouldn't know how to go about asking my GP to prescribe something else. I can't imagine saying it was something I read on the internet would help much!
    I was prescribed 25mg tablets and told to try one at first, but I may need up to three for it to have any effect. I tried one and it didn't seem to help at all. I have taken two on a couple of occasions and I did seem to get to sleep a bit quicker. I'm just a bit nervous about ending up on them long term. Does anyone know if you are supposed to take them regularly or is it ok for just now and then?

Thanks for the info, RichW, it's appreciated. I now just have to pluck up the courage to ask my GP about the alternatives at my next appointment. I wonder if the cost of the antihistamines has anything to do with the reluctance to prescribe them?

Smile Re: Promazine

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_ View Post
    Thanks for the info, RichW, it's appreciated. I now just have to pluck up the courage to ask my GP about the alternatives at my next appointment. I wonder if the cost of the antihistamines has anything to do with the reluctance to prescribe them?
    Hi Angie

You're welcome. Antihistamines are inexpensive and are widely available and the particular one that I mentioned is even available over the counter in some countries.

Best of luck

Rich

hi angie i av just started to take that medicine,i just need it to help me to av a deep sleep after i worked a nite shift, i only manage to get 3 and half hours sleep and i wake up 4 times. so i ad the medicine today 1 hour before i went to bed same again i kept wakeing up. i may av to up the dose.

Thread Information