Thread: Can I mix valerian and SSRIs?

Can I mix valerian and SSRIs?

I've just started taking sertraline, and I've relied on valerian for ages to get me to sleep, I forgot to ask my doctor if I could mix the two, and I don't want to start poking around on google.

Re: Can I mix valerian and SSRIs?

i dont think its a good idea to mix herbal and prescription stuff

I'm not sure PD, but will be asking my Gp this very question on Tuesday. I'll let you know what she says. I'm hoping it will be to give it a try as she won't prescribe sleep meds but my psych wants me to try to get 8hrs sleep a night.

pd
    do you use Valerian to get you off to sleep or to stay asleep? I get off fine but awake for 2-3 hrs during night.

Hi pd
    I've been on citalopram for 8 months and I take valerian and have had no problem. I did ask the pharmacist and they said it was ok and I've taken them for some time now.
    Jannie

Try taking half the normal dose to start with ,as it can have a doubled effect with ssris .If it doesnt have the desired effect then try the normal dose .It s ok to take but can make some feel extra drowsy and slow the heart rate down more .So its better to try the smaller dose first ..Sue

You won't have problem! I am on cipralex for over a year now and my doctor told me that I can use valerian and my ssri whenever I feel I need it!

confusing isn't it when we get so many different opinions!

I asked my GP about this & she said I should ask the surgery pharmacist as they would have more information. She also gave me a prescription for Amitriptyline 10mg.

The pharmacist advised me to take the Ami as it would be a more stable option, with very few side effects, so I'm on day 5 of them & sleeping quite well, I still wake up during the night but go straight back to sleep & wake around 6 feeling refreshed which means I get up feeling less grumpy & lethargic.

His thoughts on herbal meds were that they can vary brand to brand & many have side effects as prescribed meds. also that if I wanted to go down that route to take the advice of a herbalist.

I also spoke to my homoeopathic dr who advised taking the Ami to be sure of good quality sleep.

Hope that info helps
    Annette

Thread Information