Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of identity/going mad?

Question Loss of identity/going mad?

Anybody have these symptoms over a period of anxiety for months?

*Feeling foreign, strange, weird, disconnected from my mind.
    *Feeling slow..
    *Worry about losing mind, going mad, I get this worrying thought that "I don't know what my mind will think the next second" which some how scares me...
    *I get really strange, obscure thoughts my pattern is like a film real from the past at the moment with thoughts of the past cropping up.
    *When I think and act how I normally do it seems weird like I'm doing it but it's new to me.
    *Feel why am I on this planet?
    *Worry about long term damage, this ain't really anxiety? Is it a symptom of depersonalization?

Can you lose your mind, forget who you are? Or is it because there's alot of anxiety build up it distorts it? I read alot of these feelings pass with anxiety and you return to feeling normal? I'm very conscious of my head, when it's not physical symptoms troubling me..anybody get this and know how to cure it?

Re: Loss of identity/going mad?

a friend on here told me......if we were losing our mind we wouldnt worry about it! how true is this.
    phil....what you describe is exactly how i am feeling at the moment...have had a hidious morning and resorted to taking a diazepam.
    hopefully we will wake up soon and be ok or nearly ok xxxxx
    take care phil, love tracey xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by calm View Post
    a friend on here told me......if we were losing our mind we wouldnt worry about it! how true is this.
    phil....what you describe is exactly how i am feeling at the moment...have had a hidious morning and resorted to taking a diazepam.
    hopefully we will wake up soon and be ok or nearly ok xxxxx
    take care phil, love tracey xxxx
    Thanks. I think alot of complex anxiety symptoms are less as well documented really. I was on Diazepam too for very bad anxiety and it's took me a while to calm and now taking propranalol which helps me a bit.

Hi Phil, I too have had such feelings and know others that have and still have too, for me it just kinda settled down as I began to feel a bit better within myself, so for me the anxiety and anti depression madication was a key factor in me having these unreal and alien sort of feelings, which are as we and many others know are most distressing.
    The good news is, and as Tracy pointed out, that the fact that you are aware and concerned would indicate that you are in control and it is a function and manifestation of existing anxiety. I don't know what meds you are on, but they may be contributing to those feelings, best to check with a doctor or counselor that you can talk with and trust.
    I hope you are already beginning to feel better and more in control,regards Steph.
    i know that doesn't

Hun its anxiety you need to pass off the feelings I know its easier said then done!But retrain yourself and say NO THIS IS JUST MY ANXIETY I AM NOT LOOSING ANYTHING ABOUT MYSELF! thats what i had to do when i was in your situation I know its difficult but the longer you dwell on it the worser it gets lots of hugs! x

That sounds quite frightening Phil. But for assurence, I think it is not that you lose your mind, maybe just part of the anxiety illness. Myself I get dellusions about the identities of other people, that they are not what they seem. It seem likely to me also an illness that one can feel seperate to their own identity. I think like most symptom this can have an intervention. Do you get any medical intervention or supports from anyone? Maybe best for to discuss this with them, or else seeing your doctor.

I think the main thing is not to worry too much about it; I find when I get the distressing delusions it is best if I can conceive of it within the illness. To image it has truth or that my mind has gone, making the panic worse, and so vicious cycle. Take care Phil, best of wishes with this.

J xxx

err is that coming out of your mouth or mine ???? ive said what you just wrote word for word a million times !!

i relate to you 100%

i havent had those feelings for sometim e but i do have an anxiety disorder and i tell you phill once you dont get scared of it it goes and it will go i am here for you any time

This symptom seems to have picked up pace again..

Along with worse Depersonalization which makes me feel more ill.

At work today I had an "episode" of this..for half an hour I felt a disconnection from reality..I pure very adrenaline, very close to running to the toilet and I pictured myself in a hospital locked up. 7

Been getting lots of head rushes I try and ignore it..like noises really annoy me..when people talk that seems to make me go all funny at times when I'm all adrenaline..I just want to hide..and I feel awful.

Thinking about any life choice makes me alot worse..I feel I can't cope...

but like hours later I am home from work a little more chilled..until it kicks off again..I still feel exhausted and anxious from it.

I feel there's little cure atall for me right now..each attack edges me closer to feeling I can't cope..I have so many daft worries..wonder why am I anxious right now anyway? thoughts like not knowing what I will do next second, scared of my mind? that makes me more worried and nobody has like reassured me I won't just snap next second because I worry incase I do.

I know I need to do more self help I feel I drop in and out, half try things..but everybody is like it's just anxiety but in my head I say help!! that's maybe halting my recovery..I keep seeking reassurance..then the next attack happens.

It's never ending! ..then I get depressing feelings like I can't be bothered with life...losing interest in stuff..everything feels numb. Will I ever recover from this? What do I need to do?
    Last edited by phil06; 22-08-10 at 21:03.

Phil do you get therapy? a good dose of cbt would help

Hi Phil

You have explained everything that I am also going through at the moment. I had this many many years ago and thought I would never get over it but I did, as I gradually lost the fear somehow it just stopped coming. I am suffereing very badly with it at the moment after several months of high stress. I find it difficult to believe it will go again but it did before and I have faith it will again.

You're not alone

Luv Tracy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information