Thread: Low Sugar or Anxiety??

Low Sugar or Anxiety??

Hi All,
    I have been doing lots of reading and may have missed the answer to the question about to ask, as things are harder to see when your surfing on an iPhone

My question is, does your sugar feel like its dropping when your having an anxiety attack? The reason I ask, is because for sometime at times my sugar felt like it was dropping, cure, would be eat sweets, but as of a month ago I had my first (that I realized and knew of) panic attack.

I have been to my Doctors, blood work, just low b12, had the Holter Monitor on me, 24hrs, it was good and in ER half a dozen times concerned my sugar was dropping/heart attack feeling etc...I was diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic Attack symptoms, sugar levels were excellent during the episodes when my blood was checked...

Now Im wondering if all this time it wasn't my sugar levels dropping, but my body fighting off anxiety attacks without me even having knowledge of what they were...??especially due to the very stressful Job I hold...

Sorry for the long post...
    Thank You

Re: Low Sugar or Anxiety??

hi mate it sounds like you were having a pan attack to me especially if u went to hospital and they checked you out

Dahlia is offline Intermediate Member

Sugar levels definitely make a difference to panic, I believe. If I haven't eaten I get shaky, dizzy, feel sick and a sense of 'impending doom'. So does my mum - and she doesn't have anxiety otherwise. A dietician told me to eat 6 small meals a day rather than 3 large ones, as that keeps the sugar level constant, rather than quick highs and lows. Also try to keep away from refined carbs, as these cause a big high then a drop.

I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with your blood sugar levels - mine are normal. I just have a fast metabolism, and have always suffered with the symptoms.

My sugar level symptoms aren't the sole reason for my anxiety - basically I have panic disorder which is not due to sugar levels, but the anxiety gets worse when I get the sugar level symptoms, just like it does when I drink caffeine.

Thank you for taking the time to write that reply, i figured when ever my sugar felt low in reality it may not have actually been my sugar dropping but an anxiety attack before I ever knew about what anxiety attacks were

thank you

Thread Information