Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is fear?

What is fear?

Many people PM & email me for personal advice, So I have got to the point of writing this.

Listen, if theres a part of you thats not ready to release some fear, and there's a part of you that wants to keep your fear for maybe 2 minutes, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years or the rest of your life. Then I suggest you don't give the effort to read this. I'm only interested in those that has a part that whats to unlearn their fear.

Fear is a basic emotion that has evolved to protect us, some of us are better than others at it.

Fear is not a pleasant emotion. It can range from mild apprehension to heart pumping fear in the pit of your stomach. It appears immediately when we hear, see or feel something. Fear can also sneak up slowly. for example the visit due to the dentist, bet many of you have that one

THE TWO ELEMENTS OF FEAR.

Feeling of fear is a reaction to the mixture of

(1) A real outside event that acts as a anchor.

(2) The meaning we make in our imagination.

THE NLP APPROACH TO FEAR.

NLP is about how we create our experiences and how we represent them in our minds, in our bodies and our words.

The NEURO Of Neuro Linguistice Programming is about the mind, how we think. We use our senses to experience the external world and then we use or senses on the inside ti think about it. In these terms, thinking is usinf five senses internally. We see pictures, hear sounds and voices in our minds, create feelings and imagine smells and tastes. These may be remembered or imagined.

NLP explores the meaning we make of the fear to cause stimulus. It is not what we think, but how we think it that creates the fear. How else can we explain why some people are afraid to go out, scared of dogs and other people are not?

The LINGUISTIC part of NLP deals with language. How we talk to ourselfs. Changing the language you use will change how you feel, especially as you can all self-talk your self into feeling fear, RIGHT!

The PROGRAMMING part of NLP is about physiology. You are all aware of the physical feeling of fear. The tightness in your chest, sinking feeling, shaking the list is endless.

HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE AFRAID.

Think of a situation in the past when you were afraid.

Whereabouts in your body are the sensations?

How hot or cold are the feelings?

How much space do they take?

What shape do they seem to be?

PAY ATTENTION TO ALL FEELINGS.

THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF FEAR.

Authentic fear and real fear. Authentic fear is stimulated in the present moment by danger. It makes us avoid danger. Authentic fear is useful.

Unreal fear is stimulated by our imagining of what might happen. It is usually something we do not want to happen in the future.

Unreal fear is a problem. It can stop us in our tracks. Becasue it is based on imagination not reason. Unreal fear is not about what has happened (past) or is happening (present), it is about what could happen (future) but as not. Uncertainty is disturbing. Without information, we fill the void with imaginings, and those are what frightens us.

There are different types of unreal fear. They range from the very intense feeling of a phobia or panic attack, through to worry.

PHOBIAS

What is a phobia? It is a sudden, irrational fear about a situation, animal or thing that is not immediately threatening. Common phobias are heights, spiders enclosed spaces. Someone with a phobia cannot argue themselves out of it. They feel compelled to avoid the source of the phobia.

THE KEY POINTS ABOUT PHOBIAS.

A phobia is an intense unreasoning fear.

It is possible to be phobic about almost anything.

The object of the phobia poses no real threat or danger.

No one learns from their phobia, they have the same response every time.

A phobia is specific. The suffer is aware of what causes the phobia.

UNLEARNING FEAR

Freedom comes from unlearning unreal fear. We know we learn fear from information repetition, trauma. Nobody forgets to be afraid. How do you remember these lesson of fear. How do they stay

i am desperat to unlearn my fear[tho i do think you were a little harsh as we often feel there is no choice]but having got that off my chest,i look foreward to part two.I have been using paul mkenna's cd's and i can see how it all works and that it will work given the dedication to keep it up!i had a leaflet come thru the post but it was tooo expensive to go to his seminar,and i could't go any way as i have to unlearn my fear before i can travel anywhere,so thanks 4 bringing it to me.mary-rose.xxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

I AGREE WITH MARY I THINK UR A BIT HARSH WITH SAYING WHOEVER ISNT READY TO UNLEASH FEAR...EVERYONE WANTS TO ITS CALLED BEING SCARED. MAYBE WORD YOUR WORDS DIFFERENT NEXT TIME
    X

Iwill certainly not word my words different in the future. They were used to get the desired response that I got. Remember it's called NLP. The 'L' Stands for Linguistics. In other words. The only part that thought it was harsh was the fearful part. If you asked the confident part or the laughter part of you, they certainly wouldn't respond that way.

See we all have parts. They do certain roles. If you just had one part, you wouls be a total bore to listen too. You have many parts with many experiences. You may have a part thats the mother or father role. I hope they different roles to being a husband and wife. The role of the worker. The list of roles is endless.

I will often reply to people when they PM, by breaking their state. They will say for example "I feel really down today" My reply to break that state is to say something like "GREAT. Now you know how to feel bad, what resources do you have that will make you feel great" Guess what they do? They PM me back with a list of resources.

Take care.

Carl

word them how u like then, ur information is fantastic but if you wanted feedback i gave it to you and im sure i am not the only one saying ur harsh

O.K. Katyf. Have a good day.

Carl,

Thanks for this.

You are going to post subsequent parts on this thread aren't you so we can keep it all together please.

Meg xx

This is a very good read but i have to agree with Mary & say i find the beginning harsh. On here we all want to un learn our fear/s & we will thats why we are here now looking for help, advice & support.

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

Carl. thanks for all your help and advice. In my opinion "harsh" words are sometimes needed for the correct message to get across to people.

By any means i am not "cured" but the words used by yourself are appropriate to the situation and make me want to unlearn my fear more

take care

bobsy

That paragraph was used to provoke unconscious beliefs. Within those 4 lines are many good and bad anchors. So the only answer to the question, 'what does a word REALLY mean? is, To whom? Language is a tool of communication and as such, words mean what people agree they mean.

It is a shared way to communicate about sense experience. Without it there would be no basis for society as we know it.

We rely on intuitions of speakers of the same language, and on the fact that our sense experience is sufficently similar for our internal maps to have many features in common...... But..... we do not all share exactly the same maps.

We each experience the World in a unique way. Words are meaningless, as becomes clear when you listen to a foreign language that you do not understand. We give words meaning through their anchored associations to objects or have the same experiences. The fact that other people do have different maps and meanings adds richness and variety to life.

For those that find the beginning harsh, I did tell you in the beginning to go away for 2 minutes, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years or the rest of your life. So why wait to the end. Eventually you will get it!

Sorry Meg. Yes I will continue tomorrow, only if there is a part of me that feels up to it. I will keep plucking away............

From this moment forward in time, I will no longer comment on words that I use. I do not wish for this to turn out to be some long running topic on words. I was just asked by other people if I would take some time from my busy schedule to write something up.

So I've had enough of reading your internal Dialogue, must go.

Take care.

Carl

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information