Thread: Frequent Panic Attacks

Frequent Panic Attacks

Hi, this is my first post on this forum

I've had quite a few panic attacks over the past two weeks. I average about 2 or 3 a day. They usually last between five and ten minutes. During a panic attack the symptoms I experience are increased heart rate and my breathing quickens to the point I'm hyperventilating. I get a painful feeling in my heart and it feels like I'm having a heart attack. I feel nauseous and get a tingling feeling through my body. I feel dizzy and my arms and legs shake. Sometimes I feel like I'm choking and a couple times it has felt so bad I thought I was dying.
    I'm taking Clonazepam (Klonopin) .5mg andFluoxetine (Prozac) 40mg for depression as well as the panic attacks. I've been suicidal lately and have started cutting (unfortunately). The depression and panic symptoms feel so overbearing and I'm struggling to manage.
    What are some helpful tips on better managing the panic attacks?

Re: Frequent Panic Attacks

Quote Originally Posted by melziemel View Post
    Hi, this is my first post on this forum

I've had quite a few panic attacks over the past two weeks. I average about 2 or 3 a day. They usually last between five and ten minutes. During a panic attack the symptoms I experience are increased heart rate and my breathing quickens to the point I'm hyperventilating. I get a painful feeling in my heart and it feels like I'm having a heart attack. I feel nauseous and get a tingling feeling through my body. I feel dizzy and my arms and legs shake. Sometimes I feel like I'm choking and a couple times it has felt so bad I thought I was dying.
    I'm taking Clonazepam (Klonopin) .5mg andFluoxetine (Prozac) 40mg for depression as well as the panic attacks. I've been suicidal lately and have started cutting (unfortunately). The depression and panic symptoms feel so overbearing and I'm struggling to manage.
    What are some helpful tips on better managing the panic attacks?
    Hi hun like u im suffering with panic and anxiety attacks getting chest pains, hyperventilating, pins and needles hate that choking feeling u get like theres no air lke u i cant cope and dont know how too

Yeah the panic attacks suck! I hate that choking feeling. I've had three panic attacks so far today. Luckily I had someone with me on two of the occasions. I find having someone talk me through it helps. Do you take anything for your panic attacks?

Quote Originally Posted by melziemel View Post
    Yeah the panic attacks suck! I hate that choking feeling. I've had three panic attacks so far today. Luckily I had someone with me on two of the occasions. I find having someone talk me through it helps. Do you take anything for your panic attacks?
    on loperazam. Do u get chestpain and heaviness like pressure in chest. Does it feel likeu havent got enough air?

Hello.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a rough time, it sounds like you may need to go back to your doc for a review of your current treatment.

Medication can be of great benefit but it really helps so much more when you are taking oher steps to help yourself at the same time. Have you considered getting any kind of therapy that you can do alongside the medication to give yourself a higher chance of helping yourself feel better?

There are also some great books out there that can explain all about PA's and you to understand them and how they work.
    I have them, much less than I used to as I found some information that worked for me. I am going through a slightly dodgy stage with a remergence of panicky symtoms, I do get scared but am no longer terrified that they will get worse and worse..I have the upper hand a bit.

There is some good info here: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/panicattack and there are many many posts about this subject.

One thing I would advise is to believe that there are things you can do to help alleviate your symptoms..try and find out as much as you can about PA's, causes, effects etc.

It is all too easy to get into a spiral of constantly thinking about them, talking about them and focusing on nothing but them.
    Those of us that have had them know how awful they are and how bad they make us feel but if we don't try and pull away from that and find ways to help ourselves alongside meds then we will remain stuck where we are.

First things first..back to the docs to discuss what is happening with you at the moment, if you are cutting then what you are taking at the moment isn't working, you need a proper review.

Take care

Thread Information