Thread: Diabetic- help blood glucose level 12 what does that mean

Diabetic- help blood glucose level 12 what does that mean

HI there I had a check up this week everything is fine apart from blood glucose levels which I was told are 12 the doc said that was far too high but does anyone know what this means is 12 really high or have people had higher?

Re: Diabetic- help blood glucose level 12 what does that mean

i forgot to say im type 2 diabetic

Gordie, yes that is high, especially if you hadn't eaten or had anything to drink for a couple hours before the tests were done. While we use a different scale here in the States, my understanding is that anything over 10 mmol/l according to the scales used in the UK is cause for concern.

Are you currently on medication to control glucose spikes? And are you sticking to a low carb diet and getting exercise each day?

Was your test at the Drs a fasting glucose one in the morning or was it the HbA1C test which is the long term one they at your diabetic clinic appt??

Whichever it was a reading of 12 is very high as the fasting glucose should be below 7 and your HbA1C should be no higher than 8 max and they prefer below 7.

If you had a test a couple of hours after a meal then 12 would be okay but sounds as if it was one of the first two tests.

My husband is type 2 diabetic so well informed! Are you on tablets or tablets and insulin or just insulin????

My daughter is type 2 diabetic but is on insulin as well as tablet medication.

She has other health problems but we are struggling to control her diabetes as her sugars never drop below 10, today before breakfast it was 12.6, this evening 19.4..obviously very high.

I would have thought that your GP would arrange for you to see the practice nurse or even have a consutation with him to discuss a review of your current treatment..if on meds such as Metformin you made need a higher dose.

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    If you had a test a couple of hours after a meal then 12 would be okay but sounds as if it was one of the first two tests.
    Perhaps the conversion chart I'm looking at is inaccurate, but according to it a reading of 12 mmol/l translates to 215 mg/dl for me, and my doctor would have a cow if my reading was at that level two hours after consuming a meal.

His rule of thumb is that my glucose level should ideally be no more than 180 mg/dl (10 mmol/l) one hour after eating, and below 140 mg/dl (7.5 mmol/l) at the two hour mark. A resting reading (outside of first rising in the morning, when glucose levels are a little higher than normal anyway) in the range of 90-110 mg/dl (5-6 mmol/l) delights him to no end, although he will let me slide by with readings in the 120 mg/dl (7.0 mmol/l) range.

Hi there that was a fasting blood test. I dont think that my gp knew that.

Sorry are you saying that your test was a fasting glucose test??? In that case you should be under 7 so 12 is very high. Your Dr would know what test was done.

I agree with previous poster - I should have put after 1 hr a reading of 12 is on the high side pref no more than 10 but I put 2 hrs instead but if you had fasting glucose you can disregard this info anyway.

It's high but diabetes is hard to control. I don't have diabetes and will admit I know next to nothing about type 2 but my best mate has had type 1 for years so I have a tiny bit of knowledge. Others can contradict me if I'm wrong but I believe this test means you should change the way you eat and attempt to lower your blood glucose. It doesn't, however, mean anything terrible is going to happen to you right now. Your blood sugar needs to be high for a prolonged period to cause complications. If you're worried, just take this test as a warning and motivation to try and change your diet and exercise regime and take as much advice as you can to control your sugar levels. There's no use getting very, very worried - stress heightens blood sugar after all! - it's not the end of world, it's just a little kick up the arse!

Like I say, I'll let the diabetics here see if anything I've said is actually correct but good luck with it all! It's not a nice illness to have.

Thread Information